Peter Allen's Reviews > Hear the Wind Sing

M 50x66
Dec 29, 2010

bookshelves: murakami
Read in January, 2011

This book is short, very short. I finished it in about three very short reading sessions.

It is an enjoyable read. The narrator is an excellent character, and the reader learns just enough about him to build up a picture of him, but never so much that we would judge him particularly. He seems like an overall nice guy who is willing to take things as they come, and someone who is fascinated by people; the things they say, do, and think.

Having not read too much other Murakami (I am planning to read him in chronological order), I cannot say where this sits in his oeuvre with any certainty, but based on my knowledge of his other work, there are a number of themes present here that appear over and over again in his writing.

The fictional writer Derek Heartfield is a fantastic vehicle for Murakami to reflect on his own first experiences of writing, and he uses this to good effect.

This book is well worth investing the 2 hours (maximum) it will take you to read it. It's interesting, witty and compact.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hear the Wind Sing.