Kat Hooper's Reviews > Old Man's War

Old Man's War by John Scalzi

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: audiobook
Read in October, 2011

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

* In this universe, experience counts.
* Guns don’t kill people. The aliens behind the triggers do.

John Perry is 75 years old, his wife is dead, and he has nothing left to live for. It’s a perfect time to join the army, and the Colonial Defense Force is recruiting. They need a lot of loyal human bodies to maintain the universe colonization project, so their preference is to recruit old people, rejuvenate their bodies (nobody on Earth knows exactly how this happens), and train them to fight for the human race. Most of them will be dead within a few years, but that’s all they were expecting on Earth anyway. The Colonial Defense Force gives them something valuable to do for humanity, and a chance for a new life.

Old Man’s War is one of the most enjoyable novels I’ve read this year. The premise — old people being rejuvenated — makes for an excellent twist on the usual alien-fighting theme. The elderly, as opposed to the usual young heroes we find in so many speculative fiction novels, have had a lifetime to accumulate knowledge, skills, wisdom, and experience. I found John Perry and his cohort to be mature heroes whom I could admire and enthusiastically cheer for. I cried for them, too, as they lost each other or ruminated on past loves. Perry’s explanation of why he missed being married was moving and reminded me of my graduate school days when I would have felt lonely and unsupported (and maybe quit) if it hadn’t been for my husband’s presence.

Scalzi’s villains, on the other hand — all those alien creatures — are absolutely horrifying! The humans usually have no idea what they’ll find on a new planet, which is why their mortality rate is so high. It could be an insectoid creature with razors for hands, or a jumping slime mold, or a virus... The diversity of alien life that Scalzi has created adds suspense and terror to his story.

Old Man’s War is not a comedy, but it’s often funny — very funny. I laughed hard and out loud many times. William Dufris, the narrator of the audiobook version I listened to, contributed to the humor by reading the funny parts in a perfect deadpan voice. Dufris was outstanding and I highly recommend Macmillan Audio’s version.

I will definitely be reading John Scalzi’s other books in this series. Old Man’s War was excellent.

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Man's War.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark "like" - though I've only read the first one.

message 2: by Mike (last edited Nov 08, 2011 07:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Nice review! After I read it, I gave it to my Dad who seldom reads SciFi. He loved it. The rest of the series is pretty good too.

Kat  Hooper Thanks, Mike! I'm looking forward to the rest of the series!

Thomas Young Nicely done and dead on accurate, especially the assessment of he humor. I found myself laughing out loud and reading aloud some of the funnier parts.

That being said, I'm relatively new to goodreads, joined a while ago, but didn't really explore much beyond the quizzes. Recently joined Sword and laser, which is how I came to read Old Man's War. In your review, it states originally posted in Fantasy. Intrigued, I followed the link. What I couldn't figure out was how to get there again w/o going through your review.

If you could give an assist to the technically challenged I would greatly appreciate. Thx and once again, excellent review.

Kat  Hooper Thomas wrote: "Nicely done and dead on accurate, especially the assessment of he humor. I found myself laughing out loud and reading aloud some of the funnier parts.

That being said, I'm relatively new to goodre..."

Thanks, Thomas! To find the website, just type fantasyliterature.com into your browser window. I hope you'll leave comments, join the discussion and enter the giveaways!

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Lind Where is the fish?