Whitney's Reviews > Sister of the Dead

Sister of the Dead by Barb Hendee

Jan 27, 11

Hmm... this installment in "The Noble Dead" series was not my favorite. Why? Well, in the journey of every hero/heroine there is a low point, a nadir, that seems so awful that the character must either be crushed by the loss or rise as a phoenix from his/her ashes. Though I have not yet read the other books in the series it had better be the nadir (the bottom of the bottom) for the story. And though I certainly want to feel a sense of reality in my books, I really loathe it when the crushing loss of the nadir goes on and on... this is why "The Empire Strikes Back" is by far my least favorite of the original three Star Wars episodes.

For me, this book ventured too far for too long into horror. Too much "Hound of the Baskervilles" without the mercy of solving the mystery at the end. But then again, I'm not sure I would take my opinion on this one, since I am a self-admitted hater of the nadir.:0) It may be necessary but let's keep the crushing part to a minimum -- life can be crushing enough without dwelling on it for entertainment.

... But I'm still reading book 4 just to see if things start to look up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sister of the Dead.