Sarah's Reviews > Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg

Jan 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011, cookbooks
Read in January, 2011

This was my first book of 2011, and it was fantastic! I pretty much read through the whole thing in one sitting. I love cookbooks that are read-able. One of my goals for the year is to stop buying store-bought bread, and I think this book is going to make that attainable even though I own neither a bread machine nor a stand mixer. I've actually heard from people that the best way to mix this dough is with a wooden spoon, which happens to be something that I *do* own :)

The core recipe is available freely online in many places, including the author's blog. Other info in the book includes variations on the core recipe, and meals you can make out of the finished bread products (sandwiches, appetizers, pizzas...). There are a few lovely color pictures, though I wish there was one for each recipe.

Also, the only thing this book really requires as far as non-standard kitchen equipment is a 6-quart container. Other recommended pieces of equipment include a baking stone, pizza peel, dough whisk, oven thermometer, etc., but the last thing I need is more stuff to store in my kitchen, so I'm putting off buying those for the time being.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.