Ellen's Reviews > Magician: Master

Magician by Raymond E. Feist

Dec 11, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, read-in-2011
Read from November 27 to December 11, 2011

Having read many other fantasy series (including Brent Weeks, Robin Hobb, Steven Erikson, Brandon Sanderson, etc.) this book (Apprentice and Master) really just does not compare. I enjoyed the story and characters, but there were so many holes.
1. Descriptions of the characters, especially Arutha, were strange and did not appear to be true from the interactions shown in the book. For example, Feist repeatedly describes Arutha as moody, but he does not appear moody at all - in fact, he seems to be a very cheerful person.
2. 9 years in just under 1000 pages? Especially in the first book - every chapter would start with 5 months later, or 2 years later. It just doesn't seem feasible to go through this amount of time in this many pages. There were so many things missing. Pug's training in Kelewan from white to black robes was done in just one chapter.
3. The Tsurani - I liked them and I wanted to know more, but there just wasn't much development of their culture. To be fair in this book, Master, there was a lot more. It seems silly that they were fighting for ~9 years in Midkemia and still didnt know the language or anything. It just didnt feel realistic.
4. Why elves and dwarves? It was so unnecessary. The book was written in the 80s though when everyone was copying Tolkein. Feist relied on stereotypes of these races from other series like LotR and didn't really explain much to us.
Things I do like: The plot, and there seem to be many topics which Feist can cover in future books, such as Tomas and the Valheru, and the Tsurani after the war.
I'd give it 3.5 stars. I enjoyed it more than that (about a 4), but there were just too many flaws that annoyed me at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magician.

11/28/2011 page 56