Erin's Reviews > Anything But Typical

Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Dec 29, 2010

bookshelves: heal-the-world, juvenile-fiction, story-and-character-doorways, interpersonal-relationships
Recommended for: anyone who is or knows someone with autism
Read from December 08 to 10, 2010 , read count: 1

Have you ever wondered what it is like to be autistic? After reading this book, I feel like I have a much better understanding of the inner world of autistic children (or at least an autistic 12 year old boy). It was really a fascinating glimpse into the frustrations of a family trying to cope with a child who struggles to communicate, who has a hard time sharing his thoughts and feelings with a world of "neurotypicals," and whose sensory perceptions are attuned so differently from most people's. I sympathized with his mother and at the same time wished I could shake some sense into her because she just didn't get it!

Jason has a hard time relating to the world in real life, but online is a different story. In real life, he is picked on, awkward, and misunderstood. Online, he is an ordinary kid who writes creative stories and gets a crush on the girl who likes them. Imagine his panic as those worlds begin to collide.

For readers' advisors: character and story doorways

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anything But Typical.