Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)'s Reviews > The Iron Queen

F 50x66
Feb 07, 2011

bookshelves: netgalley, arc
Read from January 29 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy

In which we find that Meghan has her own type of glamour now that her summer glamour has been unsealed by Mab, and that she won't be able to return home just yet. Unfortunately, trying to use her glamour leaves her nauseous and dizzy, and she will need to be able to use it for the adventure ahead.

You see, the new false Iron King is offering a princely reward for the capture of the Summer princess, and no place is safe for her, especially home, where spider hags are waiting to trap her and almost succeed. But she can't return to the Nevernever, either, for she, Ash, and, as we find out, Puck, have all been exiled and the only place for them is in the In-Between.

With the Iron Court ever more expanding, however, only Meghan and her band have ever been able to penetrate to the inside, and they are released from exile temporarily in order to kill the new Iron King. With more adventures, including an epic battle in the wyldwood as the Iron King's forces advance on the Nevernever, Meghan and her troupe forge a strategic alliance with rebels from the Iron Court. Will it be enough to defeat the Iron King for good? And will she be able to find and help her father, who she suspects was also captured by the fey 10 years ago?

I wish I had half the creativity and imagination it takes to build a world and a story like this. As with all of the Iron Fey series, the reader is drawn in by a strong-willed female protagonist and the world she is living in. Well-drawn characters and plot will keep you turning pages, and with Ash teaching Meghan to fight, she becomes even more formidable. We see her gradually come into her own, and finds that she has her own unique sort of glamour, as well as a hard choice to make. The ending is awesome, and I can't wait for The Iron Knight (Ash's story and the next in the series) to come out.

QUOTES (from an ARC; may be different in finished copy):

"Because, darling, there are disturbing rumors circulating the streets. Strange weather is plaguing the mortal world, Summer and Winter are losing ground to the Iron Realm, and there is a new faction of Iron fey that have popped up recently, looking for you. Also..." Leanansidhe leaned forward, narrowing her eyes "...there are stories about a half-breed princess who controls both Summer magic and Iron glamour."

"Do try to stay out of trouble, human. I will be terribly annoyed if you manage to get yourself killed."

"You'd think, after saving the entire realm of Faery, I could get some sort of vacation," I muttered, daunted by the huge task before me. "Why does it have to be me? Can't someone else do it?"

Writing: 4.0 out of 5 stars
Plot: 5 out of 5 stars
Characters: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Reading Immersion: 4.5 out 5 stars

BOOK RATING: 4.5 out of 5 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Queen.

Miss Page Turner I started it this morning right after finishing The Iron Daughter! I've become a fan although I don't even like faeries (or thought so before):D

Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries) Well, Orlando Bloom made me love faeries and elves! LOTR set me up!