Katie's Reviews > Populazzi

Populazzi by Elise Allen

Dec 09, 2015

bookshelves: kindle-books, contemporaries
Read from December 30, 2010 to January 05, 2011

What a fun, funny book that touches on the universal and relatable theme of acceptance and fitting in! Yes, there are a lot of books out there similar to this one. Yes, Populazzi is a lot like Mean Girls. But it's also hilarious and poignant and one of my favorite contemporary reads to-date.

Elise Allen is the often-overlooked writer that helped Hilary Duff with Elixir, and she's also the author of several children's books. I was really surprised at how much I loved her first solo YA project. From the cover, I wasn't expecting much, but this book held me captive from the first chapter.

What's so great about this book is the humor - it's hilarious. I found myself literally laughing out loud a dozen times, even when I was reading it at the gym and people were giving me weird looks. Cara has such a great voice, and her outlook on life and all the situations she gets herself into was hysterical.

The book could be separated into three parts: (1) pre-"The Ladder," (2) with first-boyfriend Nate, and (3) member of the Populazzi. I've got to say part #2 was my favorite, as it showcased Cara's main choices that showcased how much she was willing to sacrifice to be popular. By part #3, she had already totally committed to Populazzi-at-any-cost.

I also found Nate a really interesting character. He's what Claudia and Cara call a "Danger Zone," someone not a member of any clique but is cool enough on his own to not need one. He's a drug addict, boozer, and emo musician, but he's also really troubled. And his reaction after Cara breaks up with him is priceless. Seriously, I laughed my face off when I read the lyrics to the song he wrote her!

Honestly, I just couldn't put this book down. Cara is adorable, her best friend Claudia is uber funny, and the cast of other supporting characters were really well-developed. This isn't really a "romance" per se, though there's definitely an undercurrent that runs throughout the story. It's more chick lit - a girl's journey from being popularity-obsessed to comfortable in her own skin, and all the hilarity in between.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Populazzi.