Small Review's Reviews > Graceling

Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, houghton-mifflin-harcourt, own, pages-400s
Read from March 04 to 07, 2012

Good. Review to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

03/05/2012 page 294

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Yearning To Read Ooooh I'm interested to hear what you think of these!!

Gina (My Precious Blog) eeee! I want to read this too! Hope we hear from you soon... I miss your blog updates.

Small Review I'm liking it! I read a review for it from a blogger I usually agree with, and she hated it, so I didn't have high hopes. But I'm actually liking it a lot. It's not perfect, but it's good enough that I'm totally entering every Bitterblue contest I see and putting a hold on Fire :P

Katsa is kind of hard to relate to, but that's mostly because she's a super reserved killing machine and I'm a hug-giving wimp. :P But I still like her.

If I stop procrastinating, I'll have some new blog updates scheduled soon :) I miss you too!!

Yearning To Read Hahaha hug-giving wimp! yes, that would possibly put a rift in a friendship. ;) I'm glad to hear it's good, though! I'll add it, just because you like it. ;)

And I agree with Gina - seriously! Come back to us Small! (We are getting a glimpse of what it would be like if the blogosphere was void of Small Review... Depressing. Gray. Totally un-fun.)

Gina (My Precious Blog) Hey Small, I think you may be reading this because of the May release of Bitterblue? I just figured out that book was part of this series. Ya, I'm a little dense and behind the times. Well, looking at my digital library I can get both Graceling and FIre pretty easily. So, my questions for you are: the books are quite long, do you think I'd enjoy them? Are they as good as the Hunger Games? Are they written in first person or third?

Small Review Nope, total coincidence about Bitterblue :) Graceling ends nicely as a standalone, too.

the books are quite long, do you think I'd enjoy them? Hmm...yes, I think you might enjoy Graceling (which is the only one I've read). I think it will depend on whether or not you end up liking Katsa. The plot is enjoyable, but it's not super fast. It's not slow either though. I didn't feel like the book was dragging, but I did read it over a spread out period of time, so that probably affected my perception.

Are they as good as the Hunger Games? No, I don't think they're even on the same playing field.

Are they written in first person or third? Third. And kind of clunky third at that.