Mary Beth's Reviews > Dawn Land

Dawn Land by Joseph Bruchac

Dec 29, 2010

bookshelves: graphic
Read in February, 2011

An amazing story, gracefully and elegantly retold in graphic form, I thoroughly enjoyed "Dawn Land." My only regret was how quickly it ended; I felt that a couple more pages of Young Hunter's journey home would have allowed for a more gentle release from the story.

That said, I loved this tale of an ancient New England and the people and mythologies that were here 10,000 years before us. Young Hunter is on a quest to defeat the Stone Giants, actual giants who terrorize and make meals of the "Only People." He is aided by his three wolf companions and by powerful spirits(Otter Woman, White Buffalo Woman, and a host of greater Beings); he is troubled and sometimes confounded by his cousin, Weasel Tail, who is estranged from his tribe and serves the Stone Giants. There is a saber-toothed cat in this story; not many of those around in literature these days!

I have added the original novel by Joseph Bruchac to my "to-read" list; I am intrigued enough by this graphic version to want to read the source. Happily recommended to anyone that enjoys American History, Native American History, and adventure tales.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dawn Land.