Elise Wilson's Reviews > Comanche Heart

Comanche Heart by Catherine Anderson

Dec 31, 10

Read in December, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This is a sequel to Comanche Moon, so it's difficult not to make comparisons. I gave both books 4 stars, mainly because they are extremely well-written, though I did find some repeat material in the sequel.

What I liked about CH: The chemistry between Amy and Swift is good; I found them believable characters and could sympathize with their plight. I liked the continuing story of Hunter & Loretta and the introduction of their children, Indigo and Chase. I liked that it continued to speak to the historical Native Americans (the People) and its culture, though in a much limited manner than CM. And I liked that Anderson continues the themes of "hope" and "keeping your eyes on the horizon" in this sequel.

What I disliked about CH: SPOILER ALERT: The author used (abused) the theme of rape in the story. We found this in CM when Loretta was almost raped and Amy was, indeed, gang raped. Now in CH we discover that Amy has been raped again by her stepfather and almost raped again while in her sanctuary of Oregon. On top of this, there is an attempted rape on Hunter's daughter Indigo. Surely the author is clever and skillful enough to use another tool to demonstrate tragedy in her story. I also found a bit too much repeat material in CH, like the intimate scene between Amy and Swift and how he attempted to soothe her fears -- quite similar to Loretta and Hunter's in CM.

Having said all this, I still believe CH is worth the read for the positive things I mentioned. There seems to be a consensus that Comanche Moon is the better of the two and I tend to agree. I'd also like to suggest another book, "Courting Morrow Little", by Laura Frantz, another excellent historical romance that deals with the relations between Native Americans and whites.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comanche Heart.

message 1: by Zumbagirl (new) - added it

Zumbagirl I'm reading Comanche Moon now and was wondering about the sequel. I'm not ready to read this book any time soon!! Comanche Moon is very heavy and I will need to read some lighter material.

Elise Wilson Zumbagirl wrote: "I'm reading Comanche Moon now and was wondering about the sequel. I'm not ready to read this book any time soon!! Comanche Moon is very heavy and I will need to read some lighter material."

Yes, this is heavy reading. And you have to be in the right mood/frame of mind to enjoy it. I think they are good reads, for sure -- but heavy reads, indeed.