Jon Cox's Reviews > The Lost Hero

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Dec 28, 10

bookshelves: children-s, fantasy-sci-fi, romance
Read in December, 2010

The best thing I can say for this book is that it made me excited to read the next in the series. Despite following the same general "quest" plot, and creating fairly typical characterizations where each individual has to have their terrible secret and inner struggle, Riordan managed to create a refreshingly central plot twist that breaths new life into this continuation of the Heroes of Olympus series.

I easily overlooked a number of minor gramatical/typographic errors that should have been caught by the editors, even though a couple of them required a few moments to figure out what the sentence should have said.

Probably the only beef I have with the book is near the end when Chiron mentions a timeline for the next quest that doesn't make sense. He says that they should sail by the summer solstice because that is when the Gods' power will be at its peak. However, the logic doesn't hold. In truth, it seems that Riordan is straining to give enough time to accomplish what he wants to accomplish in the next book, rather than following true logic regarding when to attack their foe. If he followed the logic used in past Olympus books, then they should plan to be attacking their foe on the solstice, not heading out on the soltice. Other than that problem, it's a great book, and appropriate for anyone, even if you haven't read the Percy Jackson series (although you probably should.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Hero.