Eileen's Reviews > Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life

Made from Scratch by Jenna Woginrich

203167
Dec 28, 10

bookshelves: craft
Read in December, 2010

A quite basic but worthwhile book on homesteading. The main difference between this and many of the other contemporary homesteading/farming books I've read is the calm tone. While Woginrich certainly doesn't ignore the problems of farming, and gives many anecdotes of her failures, she also projects a "you can do this" attitude that actually pairs quite well with the simplicity of the discussion. Now, ok. I would definitely prefer to get far more information on a big swath of the subject matter--using work dogs, for instance--but the included info is approachable, even inviting, and the appendix gives a large array of additional sources to check out. Most of the suggested projects are totally doable, even by the most naive beginning sewer, cook, gardener, or what have you. Even such supposedly complex projects as breadbaking and learning to play musical instruments are presented as feasible. If it gives me excitement about new projects and confidence that I can get them done, great.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Made from Scratch.