Kayt's Reviews > Daughter of the Flames

Daughter of the Flames by Zoë Marriott

Dec 28, 10

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in December, 2010

Fifteen-year-old Zira is training to be a namoa, a warrior priest[ess] for the religion of her people, the Rua, who live in a land occupied by the Sedorne, who invaded a decade earlier. Zira is an orphan with little care for history or politics; her care is for the Rua and their way of life. And then comes the cliche: everything gets turned upside-down, secrets are revealed, and Zira is right at the center of it.

Despite that, though, it's a good book. The book's description had me thinking a slightly different story would take place, but it went farther than "girl discovers secret, falls in love with enemy, lives happily ever after," or at least it gave all the details that a good story needs. The book's description includes this: ...and accept her growing feelings for a man who should be her enemy, which made me immediately wary. Here we have a strong female character, and a land wonderfully written with a beautiful culture that I want to know more about, is it really going to be marred with cliched forbidden romance?

Thankfully, no. Without spoiling things, I can definitely say that the story is truly about Zira and not her love life, and even the love interest is a good character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Flames.