Jet's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Jan 27, 08

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in January, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I am so tempted to give this a 2-star but I did finish reading it, which is more than what I can say about some other fantasy books on the market these days, so I stopped short.

I hated the ending. It was too messy and quite honestly I am not certain what all the character deaths are supposed to achieve - largely because there has not been any build up. To quote another reviewer for an earlier HP book, the climax came with a sense of "Oh are we here already?" as opposed to "Oh, I have been waiting for this!" A thin line divides plot twists from poor plot management. All the DB bits are ill-placed, because, he is dead! There are recaps, which is all fine and dandy, and then there are speaking portraits - which had immediately spark off n exasperated "Oh come on" from me.

The one thing still haunting me is, why did Fred have to die?

Wait, a second thing. Harry was deposited at his aunt's place as a baby! How on earth does he ride around on a toy broom as a one-year old??! Illogical if you ask me. Logical lapse.

And of course, after a cop-out of an ending, the 19-years-later bit aggravated me even further. Let's imagine this. As a child, I had to be sent to Muggle world because I am world-famous for being the only one to have survived a death curse. I was so famous, everyone recognised me from my scar. Now years later, I was not only the One-who-Survived, I was the Chosen One who killed You-Know-Who. Which part of that will allow me to happily stand on a platform to send my children to school, without getting stares?! And why on earth will my own children, and my best buddies' children not know why they are being stared at? Well, if they have been cocooned away at home in Muggle World, that makes sense, but my elder son is already in school! On come on.

The problem with a complicated plot is, if you don't manage it well, it falls flat and it becomes a "I am trying to be clever" moment. It runs away from you. The reader reads it once, reads it twice and goes, she's a genius! when it could have been, the reader reads it once and goes, "AH! Tell me more!" I'm done with the series, and I still think, as great as Rowling is, she does not measure to the likes of her inspiration and E Nesbit least of all.