Jenny's Reviews > How Pleasure Works: The New Science of Why We Like What We Like

How Pleasure Works by Paul Bloom

Dec 28, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: psychology
Read from December 28 to 29, 2010

I have nothing against this book in particular - just the fact that I seem to be reading the same stuff over and over again under the guise of different titles-whether it is a book on happiness or how our brains work, or affection, or competition or any other host of things people try and research and explain--it often seems like the same things are being said over and over again. This book mainly is about how we find pleasure in things because of the essence we impart with objects, people, etc. While I found this concept interesting, many of the examples provided I found quite annoying, as they did not apply to me and I thought some of them were ridiculous to begin with. I don't understand why people think there is value to things owned by famous people. (Or I understand on some level but find it hard to ever see myself wanting such things for myself). Besides that, it was a little repetitive, and I found myself skimming it towards the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Pleasure Works.