Steve Wales's Reviews > Heirs of Mars

Heirs of Mars by Joseph Robert Lewis

Jan 08, 11

bookshelves: ebooks, fiction-other, science-fiction, mars, indie, 2010, goodreads-author
Read from December 28 to 29, 2010

I happened upon 'Heirs of Mars' on Goodreads and I'm glad I did. Well-drawn characters, compelling storylines, new concepts and twists on such standard sci-fi ideas as colonisation and cloning. All this plus car chases on Mars? What's not to like!

Heirs of Mars is set on a planet that has lost its Martian dream: successes are increasingly few and far between, and the streets are certainly not paved with gold. To try to buoy up the failing Martian population, cloners secretly make 'ghost' clones - the minds of the dying copied into synthetic bodies that can carry on their essential work, e.g. as doctors. Meanwhile this technique of effectively overwriting a robot with a human brain has a group of sentient AI robots worried that this could be used as a weapon against them and they are waging a war against the Martian cloners.

These sorts of ideas are all cleverly combined - since the clones are essentially part-human, part-machine, neither fully one nor the other, they are caught in the middle of the fight between the robots and the human cloners. These sorts of ideas make you think, but at the same time they are tied together in a thrilling plot. Oh, and did I mention the car chases on Mars? Fantastic!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heirs of Mars.