~Tina~'s Reviews > The Piper's Son

Mar 07, 11

bookshelves: favorites, young-adult, read-2011
Recommended to ~Tina~ by: Gift from Book-Goddess, Nic
Read from March 05 to 07, 2011

If I could give this book 100 Stars, I so would!!

Aussie Book challenge 2011 #4

Maybe she'd always been there, Maybe strangers enter your heart first and then you spend the rest of your life searching for them.

The Piper's Son is a heart-crushing and heartwarming story told by Thomas Mackee and Georgie Finch. When oblivion didn't work out for Thomas, he ends up moving in with his aunt who has emotional baggage of her own. Thomas struggles with grief and regrets, memories seem to suffocate his every breath. He walked away from his family and friends and missing his uncle Joe so bad he can't seem to think straight.
His life is shattered, his family broken, but being with them again makes Thomas realize that they need him, just as much as he needs them.
This is a breathtaking story about family, friends, love, lost, emptiness, forgiveness and closure.

As much as I enjoyed Saving Francesca, I gotta say that The Piper's Son was so so much better! Maybe it's because I adore the male pov's in books, maybe it's because Marchetta gave Thomas such an incredible voice compared to the first one, or maybe it's just Thomas Mackee.
My money is on that last one;)

I adored.this.book.to.absolute.pieces!!! So many different emotions with every single page I turned. From laughter to tears to silly grins, I never wanted this book to end.
What can I possibly say about this masterpiece that others haven't said?
I don't know how she does it, but the way Marchetta writes is like magic, it flows in such a way that you are completely glued to every word, she writes with so much affection and passion, really pulling the reader into her ever story and makes it so personal for us that we live and breath and hope and fear right along with her characters.
We want what they want and we'd almost do anything for it to happen.
It's an all-consuming experience.

~ I love Thomas Mackee!! He is such a dejected character and your heart truly goes out to him, that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a good swift-kick-in-ass, but even though he's a mess and even a bastard, he still has a brilliant heart. I loved so many different moments he shared through out the book. When he's with Georgie or Frankie or Dom or when he's e-mailing Tara and talking about everything and nothing all at once. I loved the Tara moments most of all. It's when his vulnerable side comes screaming-through and even though he hates to admit it, there is nothing like witnessing a man who regrets. He's broken and awkward and unsure, but most of all he's angry. But when ever he gets that "screw it" mind frame and is willing to just feel, it's an absolutely amazing sight to behold.
~ I also really enjoyed Georgie's views, her struggles her memories, her journey with Sam and how confusing and unbelievable it all is at this point in her life. I loved hearing about the family's history and was so touched every time she would write or think about Joe. I just love the way she tries to hold on to everything and everyone with ever fiber of her being, but at the same time wishes it could just be about her.
Such a beautiful character.
It was also wonderful to see the girls and Will again as well, it just wouldn't have been the same without them.

Basically I just loved, adored and worshiped this book. Like every book Marchetta writes, it will stir up emotions you didn't think you even possessed. It makes you think and look and feel, and The Piper's Son is another amazing gem that will do just that. Nothing I say will ever do this book the justice it absolutely deserves.

Outstanding, Remarkable and Memorable, this my friends, is a Must Read!!!

(Special thanks to my book goddess Nic for sending me a copy of this amazing book. You are the best Twinie!! XO )

Favorite Quotes ( There are to many, but some of these just gutted my insides to mush)

"She's beautiful and God he loves the fact that she still wears a ponytail and looks like a kid her age. She's running to him and there's nothing graceful about Anabel because the Finch women aren't really that graceful. They're just beautiful and smart and fierce and ridiculously uncool. A bit like Tara." (TM)

'How can I be happy? she asks with anguish.'To get this baby, my brother had to die. Do you understand?'
'And to get this family, my best friend had to die.' he says gruffly.
'So aren't we both a sorry pair?' (Georgie and Bill)

"And I'd prefer you stick to the singular when it comes to the guy she's gone out with. I pride myself on being the only bastard she's been in love with.' (Tom e-mail to Siobhan)

'Are you alone?' he asks quietly.
He hears her breathing so close to his ear.
'Good,' he says, his voice croaky. 'I'll sleep like a baby.' (TM and Tara)

"So next time you remember standing in a your bedroom naked, know that it is the most amazing view from any angle, especially the one where we get to see inside. Love always, Always, Tom." (TM e-mail to Tara)

'Don’t let anyone take care of you. Can you maybe leave that for me to do? I mean, take care of you? Feel free to take care of me in return… because I think I’ll need you to do that' (TM)

Tom's song and the 5:45 sunset story also gets a teary-grin shout out!

My applause!!!

8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Piper's Son.

03/06/2011 page 230
70.0% "I can't stop crying" 51 comments

~Tina~ Yay's! I love that banana!!

Crystal Great review! I lurve Tom =)

Alexa I'm really happy you loved this one, Tina. :D Awesome review!

~Tina~ Thanks guys! Going down as one of my all time fav's in 2011!

Arlene Love your review!!! Those quotes make me want to read this book again!!

message 7: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Brilliant review twinie. Thomas Mackee is a character that really gets into your heart :)

~Tina~ Thanks guys! I keep flipping to some of my favorite scenes, I don't want to put this away yet:)

Thanks again for the gift twinie! I really just loved it to death!