Karyn Silverman's Reviews > The Cloud Roads

The Cloud Roads by Martha Wells

Dec 28, 2010

bookshelves: z2010-reads, arcs, specfic
Read from December 28 to 29, 2010

1/3rd through: LOVE THIS WOMAN'S WRITING! Why doesn't everyone read her? Like, right now? I've read everything and was doubtful about this one, but once again, LOVE.

Finished:
Really enjoyed this. Was occasionally confused about who was who among the minor characters (they all have simple noun names: Chime, Bell, Moon, Jade), but suspect this was as much due to reading fast because I was enthralled as any actual flaws. My one real gripe is layout: way too much text crammed on to each page, doubtless to cut costs/increase profitability, but it makes for a less pleasant reading experience and I am afraid folks will pick this up and put it down after paging through, put off by the densely packed pages of text. (This is an ARC, so it's possible the layout could change, but probably unlikely.)
Awed by the inventive world: the various sentient races (living in sea, sky, and earth) are all described quite vividly, and I kept wanting to make them make sense in terms of, oh, so the Dwei are like turtles but their hives are like bees, but actually the different races are really different and the world feels totally fresh. Plus I love the emotional core about searching and belonging, and Moon (typical for Wells's protagonists) is wry and dry and prickly and if I went for winged, tailed, maned creatures who could break me with a casual accidental move, I'd be all over him.
Plus, adventure, baddies, and a romance that isn't actually romantic at all but is satisfying, and above all, a resoundingly good story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cloud Roads.