Nikki's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Jan 01, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011, classics, 20th-century, gothic, british
Read from December 28, 2010 to January 01, 2011 — I own a copy

At first I was thoroughly bored by this book. At around page 100 I seriously considered giving up on it - how happy I am I persevered. I read the last 300 pages in one go, I simply could not tear myself away. I just had to know what was going on, what was going to happen next. I was not disappointed - the plot twist was huge, it strongly reminded me of a Shyamalan film. The main character (who remains nameless) was quite annoying before the big plot twist took place. She is so insecure, submissive and weak-willed, it got on my nerves after a while. I did see myself in her a little, in that she is very much a pessimist, always expecting the worst the happen. She plays out these scenarios in her head of the worst possible way things could actually turn out. I have to admit I can be like that too, though not to such an extreme extent. The so-called 'bad' character, Mrs Danvers, isn't a one-dimensional villain. She's very human and it's easy to understand where she's coming from. That's what makes the story so realistic, even though the events are actually quite out-there, definitely from a modern point of view.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.