Adam Tuttle's Reviews > Object-Oriented Programming in ColdFusion

Object-Oriented Programming in ColdFusion by Matt Gifford

Jan 24, 11

bookshelves: technical, read-2011
Read from December 28, 2010 to January 24, 2011

This book was a very quick read - I read it cover to cover in a little more than two and a half hours. Still, it manages to pack in a very succinct and clear explanation of the basic building blocks of OOP in ColdFusion: CFCs and the "Bean" paradigm.

If you're already familiar with the technical aspects: What CFCs are, how to write them, and how to instantiate and use them; then you can probably skip directly to chapter 4, where the less tangible aspects of OOP are covered: Inheritance, Polymorphism, Composition, and Aggregation. These are the concepts I was hoping to expand my understanding of by reading this book and while they are all covered and perhaps done justice, I would have liked to have seen a bit more content dedicated to them. As it is, all of these topics share a single 22 page chapter. After which, a lengthy discussion of DAOs, Gateways, and Services finishes out the book; which may do more harm than good.

As a veteran of the "5-to-1" arguments (is it necessary to create a bean, dao, gateway, service, and value-object for every entity/table?), I tend to stray away from informing people about all of the intricacies of each of these objects for fear of understanding being mistaken for promotion. I hope people don't read this book and take his explanation as advice, and start creating all of these objects unnecessarily again.

For as short a book as it is, I suppose it's a fair distribution of content, but as I said, I would have liked to see a bit more discussion around the 4 most often confused concepts of OOP and less around DAOs, Gateways, Services, etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Object-Oriented Programming in ColdFusion.