Cathy 's Reviews > Hexed

Hexed by Ilona Andrews

One of the better anthologies I've read, I really enjoyed three out of four stories.

Magic Dreams by Ilona Andrews

A terrific story, as usual from this team. They're smart enough not to try to introduce their entire world or all of their characters, but to focus on two of their fun supporting characters and to give them a great adventure. It felt to me like a story that wouldn't be confusing if you'd never read any of the books in the series, but of course I can't really judge that.

As usual, I loved that they introduced me to some new mythology that I'd never encountered before, these guys are master researchers and have a deft hand at weaving obscure myths into great storytelling. And I really liked learning more about Dali, it's easy to identify with this smart but insecure girl who's trying to be brave to protect the man she adores. Gordon and Ilona are terrific at making the characters' emotions feel very real, much more so than most authors I read, and it makes all of their stories, long and short, very enjoyable.

Ice Shards by Yasmine Galenorn

I was intrigued at the beginning but quickly got completely overwhelmed as tons of characters were thrown at me, it was super confusing. It felt like she was trying to tell me everything that ever happened in every one of her books and it just didn't work at all. I had to stop reading it. But I am a bit more intrigued about her books than I was. They were already on my to-read, so at least I have a bit of the flavor now. It's not exactly my style, not gritty and kind of silly it seems, more romance than urban fantasy, but at least I have a taste.

Double Hexed by Allyson James

I loved this story, this was the best part of the book because now I can't wait to start this series. This is why publishers love anthologies! It was just a fun story, the characters were introduced in a way that made me want to get to know them, have no problem remembering who they were, and want very much to know more about them. I had no problem following the information about the magic and their backgrounds. It was just well done, everything I want in a story. In fact, it felt more like a complete novel, it didn't feel like it got cut off or was lacking anything. It was just solid. I can't wait to start the series.

Blood Debt

A decent story. It didn't thrill me but it wasn't bad in any way either. I think from reading this that if I read the books they'd probably be 3.5 stars, good but not outstanding. It didn't zing, but it was a good story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hexed.

07/02/2011 page 14
4.0% "The Dali & Jim story by Ilona Andrews is very good. As usual, their short stories always are."
07/02/2011 page 68
21.0% "Very enjoyable story by @ilonaandrews!"
07/02/2011 page 76
23.0% "Camille has 3 husbands and one is a dragon, maybe I should read these Galenorn books sooner than later. #anthologiessellbooks"
07/02/2011 page 163
50.0% "Oh, this guy's a dragon too! And this story is much better than the last one. it was too confusing."
07/03/2011 page 248
76.0% "The Allyson James story was excellent, I can't wait to read the Stormwalker series now."