Moira's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Dec 31, 10

Recommended to Moira by: Ruth Amberg
Recommended for: Beckie Weinheimer - the herione is like you!
Read from December 28 to 31, 2010

OMG, I have just finished my 4th cry in reading this book!!!! A 4-tissue book!!!!! This is one of the best books I've ever read. A friend lent it to me and I thought, "Huh? A book about the German occupation of Guernsey Island?" I only vaguely recalled that the Germans had occupied it and that it was famous for cows. But I decided to read it so I could return it when I see her in a couple of days. IT WAS BRILLIANT!!!! It is like reading a modern-day Jane Austen novel.

It is told totally in letter form, which can be dreadfully dull but, in this case, gave voice to the characters and provided the forum for both sparkling humor and heart-wrenching sadness. There are so many reasons to adore this magnificently written book. First, it was amazing to learn about the occupation. Second, it was fascinating to read about the war from the perspective of (fictional) people who were just recovering from it, because so often war books are written when there has been some time and distance to digest things. Third, the main character is a writer and her struggles as a writer as so familiar to those of us who try. Fourth - a literary society? Well, who can resist all the references to writers and wonderful books and well, wait til you get to the Oscar Wilde part! And finally, the romances (and yes, I am a true romantic at heart) are too charming for words. I LOVE THIS BOOK.
Likeflag

message 1: by Suzy (new)

Suzy I love it, too, and the back story -- about how Annie Barrows finished it for her aunt after it was acquired by a publisher and the author died before it could be revised -- is like a fifth tissue for me. So sad that she did not live to enjoy the acclaim.

Mitch Kaplan, owner of Books & Books, bought the film rights. He introduced me to a lovely woman who's producing it with him when I was at the book fair. Of course, I immediately tried to cast the film for her.

Tami Traylor I picked up the Jane Austen quality of this book, too! I adored Juliet's character and the motley crew of islanders she grows to love. I also loved the letter/correspondence style of storytelling. It's better than a diary because you get the POV from all the characters in their letters.