Gemma's Reviews > Dakota Child

Dakota Child by Linda Ford

Dec 30, 10

Read from December 28 to 30, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I got this because I signed up for the "Tell Harlequin" panel. While I consider myself a Christian, this book was too preachy for me. I've read inspiration romance before that didn't lay it on this thick, and I enjoyed them more. Yes, christians believe sex outside of marriage is a sin, but holy cow, did it ever get beaten to death. I got really sick of hearing about how horrible her sin was. The heroine acted like she'd practically committed murder, instead of having a child out of wedlock.

I loved the hero. The heroine, not so much. She was as changeable as the wind. She trusts the hero, then she's afraid of him. One minute she just knows he's sweet and gentle and will never hurt anyone, the next minute, she's afraid of him because of his size. Make up your mind! Also, when the book opens, the heroine is lost in a blizzard and about to freeze to death. The hero finds her, and instead of being grateful that someone has found her, she is afraid that he'll hurt her and tries to run away. HUH??? He hadn't done anything at all threatening at that point. And did I mention she was about to freeze to death? Most people would go with anyone if they could lead them to shelter, and worry about his intentions later.

The heroine's dumb insistence that the baby's father would marry her once he knew about his son really got on my nerves, too. Not every man is going to do the honorable thing. And come on, he slept with you and then left without a word, and yet you believe he'll immediately marry you because you had his kid? Wake up and smell the coffee!

I gave this story two stars instead of one because I really liked the hero. He was a sweet and gentle man, a man of simple needs, but honorable and caring. I really like him. I just thought he deserved a woman who had more sense.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dakota Child.

12/28/2010 page 70
26.0% "Received because I signed up for the "Tell Harlequin" program. Liking the hero so far, the heroine, not so much. We'll see if she improves."

Jacqueline Thanks! Your review says exactly what I thought, but you did a much better job with your review. I guess I just couldn't get enthused enough with this book to do a better job on my review. :-)