Nicole's Reviews > Dead After Dark

Dec 28, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: frothy-romance
Read in December, 2010

With four authors, it's no surprise that the quality of writing in this book varies widely.

The Sherrilyn Kenyon novella is tissue-thin, with barely even a plot to hold it together. Too many characters forced to be evil for evil's sake, too many characters forced to carry the idiot ball. It also requires at least some knowledge of her universe.

It was really nice to see J.R. Ward write a vampire that didn't talk gangsta-speak. I liked the story there, and I'd like to see both characters come back. I'm interested to see what the other vampires make of Michael. My only disappointment was seeing our lead female character give up her career. It would be fun to see her become lawyer to the vamps.

Susan Squires' story was, for me, the discovery of the book. It carried the emotional weight of a whole lot of period-appropriate deaths without becoming dreary. For a time, I wasn't entirely sure there was an HEA coming! I was in incredible suspense. I was charmed by both main characters and immediately put Squires on my to-read list.

Dianna Love's story was the loser of this compilation. There was no buildup and a whole lot of telling-not-showing. I actually didn't finish the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead After Dark.