Carol's Reviews > The Egypt Game

The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

Jan 21, 11

bookshelves: read-with-a, middle-school, favorites
Read from December 27, 2010 to January 19, 2011

The Egypt Game for me is all about imagination.

I read this with Amber (11), and it was a perfect book for her. Story-telling, playing games that last for months and months are right up her alley. She does it on her own, but I think part of that is we’re more careful now. The Egypt Game was first published in 1967 and it was a different time. Kids seemed to have more freedom, for better or worse. I mean breaking into a storage shed and playing with “ceremonial” fire would not be tolerated now. I need to know where she is, who she’s with, and usually it’s in our yard by herself.

I sometimes think that all the tv watching and video-game playing don’t encourage creativity and imagination. There’s nothing like immersing yourself in a world of your own creation when you’re a kid. I think a lot of grown-ups have forgotten the feeling, but Snyder captures it perfectly. I like that this book encourages those things, along with the joy of learning new things through books and taking what you’ve learned to enhance your life or your fiction.

Amber loved the story. She was little leery about picking it up at first, probably because it was not a book she’d heard of before and a new author to her, but once we got into it, she kept begging to read more every night.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Egypt Game.