Leesa's Reviews > Hard Bitten

Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill

May 09, 11

bookshelves: may-2011, favourites, should-be-a-tv-show-or-movie, vampires, urban-fantasy
Read in May, 2011

Well personally I thought it was... AMAZING. I have glanced at a few of the reviews below and I am a little surprised at how everyone has reacted to cliff hanger ending. If you removed the cliff hanger, it is still a great read. But as a whole, it is that tension and drama created through words that makes it a fantastic read.

It is incredibly difficult to write a review without giving away the plot, but I am trying here.

Let's start with the writing - I adore Chloe Neill's writing. It is conversational without dumbing it down or overusing colloquialisms (like certain authors). The plot itself is more of a continuation of the overarching story, with smaller plots and resolutions along the way.

The characters are a little more realistic than most urban fantasy characters (yes, I see the irony in that sentence). Merit is strong, independent and flawed, but not to the ridiculous point that many strong female characters are in other books. She also cares about others, is committed to her cause and doesn't rely on a man to justify her existence. Nor does she shut him out completely. And speaking of men, Ethan isn't this overly confident macho man who just has to have her for no real reason that makes sense in reality.

The two have incredible chemistry together in a good way, that gives you butterflies when you read their conversations. They both continue to change and develop, and become better as both individuals and as a couple. I also love all the other characters in this series. Everyone has such depth, even the baddies, and I find it easy to imagine their appearance and mannerisms.

Ok. Now the cliffhanger. I totally understand a dramatic cliffhanger bugs readers since we have to wait so long for resolution, but seriously how could you not have expected it? There was a definite build up and Neill uses cliffhangers throughout the series. I feel like the next book may bring about some resolution to this, in the best possible way. There is a hint of KMM's Fever series in that ending (Oh, I've said to much!). And Merit's the dream near the end...yeh, something good will come of this.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Bitten.