Scarlet's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Rate this book
Clear rating

's review
Aug 02, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal, vampires, i-own, signed-by-author, review, wtf-is-this
Read from May 06 to 09, 2011


**Warning: This review contains spoilers**

EDIT: July 2014 - Since apparently my original review wasn't clear enough, I'll be inserting more of my musings as to why I didn't like this book from the comments section.

May 2011 -
Well here I am, finally writing my review for Vampire Academy after finishing it about four months ago (Wow, has it really been that long already?). I’ve had many long debates with myself over what I wanted to say, and now I think it’s time I finally said them.

Let me start by saying I had extremely high expectations for VA, given that it has over 70,000 ratings with an average of 4.23 stars. I thought there was no way I wouldn’t LOVE this book, but sadly I was mistaken. To be honest, I don’t see why this book is so popular. It has a somewhat interesting concept, but overall the characters and plot pissed me off. Sorry to be so blunt about it, but that’s the truth.

Rose: The Main Character:

If I had to list my top 5 least favorite book characters, she would be high on the list. I detested her throughout the book. Why, you ask? She has almost no redeeming qualities. Her main character traits are: she’s bad-tempered, violent, reckless, defiant, arrogant, selfish, and encourages vengeance. I will give her some credit though (before you start yelling at me) that yes, she’s a tough girl who can kick some serious butt if she needs to, and as the book goes on she does get somewhat more responsible with her duties.

However, Rose is probably one of the most self-absorbed characters I've come across. Yes, she's supposed to be caring for another person, but she lets her own jealousies get in the way and tries to sabotage Lissa's relationship with another guy when it was obvious he made Lissa happy. Rose even basically says at one point that she wanted to forget about Lissa because she was feeling horny and wanted to do something bad. Rose only cared about her own feelings and screwed with people just because she felt like it.

It's nice having a main character (especially if it's a girl) that can take care and defend herself instead of being a mary-sue who always trips and falls on her face. But honestly, what is so cool about a girl who's mean just to be mean? What is so badass about a girl who goes behind their "friend's" back and tries to ruin their relationship with another guy? What is so awesome about a girl who heartlessly uses and abuses people? Who thinks she's better than everyone else and hotter than everyone else?

There's a difference between being proud of yourself/your body and thinking that you're better than everyone and abusing your powers of manipulation and good looks to get what you want.

A few quotes to illustrate my point:

I liked flirting, I liked groups, and I liked making smartass comments in class. (page 91)

He was boring, yes, but safe. Just like Natalie. How come all the harmless people were so lame? (page 69)

Momentarily forgetting Lissa, I focused my full attention on Jessie. Suddenly, I so needed to do something wild and bad. (page 103)

I was a pretty dhampir, one who didn't mind getting into trouble and pulling crazy stunts. I became a novelty; they liked having me around for the fun of it."

You flirted with the other guys simply for the sake of flirting. You flirted with Jesse in the hopes of getting semi-naked with him. He was a royal Moroi, and he was so hot, he should have worn awarning: flammable sign."

"I knew I was pretty, but to Moroi boys, my body was more than just pretty: it was sexy in a risqué way."

"I knew perfectly well that there weren't a lot of girls at this school who looked as good in a bra as I did."

Rose: "Hey Mason, wipe the drool off your face. If you're going to think about me naked, do it on your own time.”
Mason: "This is my time, Hathaway. I'm leading today's session.”
Rose: "Oh yeah? Huh. Well, I guess this is a good time to think about me naked, then.”
Eddie: "It's always a good a time to think about you naked."

Rose: "She thinks you're a freak, but she's too nice to say anything.”
Christian: "But you aren't too nice?”
Rose: "No. Not when I feel sorry for someone.”

Christian: "I'm a lot of things, but I'm not a liar. That's your department. And Rose's.”
Lissa: "We don't—”
Christian: "Exaggerate stories about people's families? Say that you hate me? Pretend to be friends with people you think are stupid? Date a guy you don't like?”

Dimitri: "It won't happen to you. You're too . . ."
Rose: He groped for the right word, and I mentally substituted all sorts of possibilities. Goddess-like. Scorchingly sexy.

Opinions on Rose and Dimitri’s developing “Romantic Relationship”:

I’m sorry fan girls, but Dimitri didn’t exactly woo me like I expected he would. And the budding romance between Dimitri and Rose (gag) was weird and unrealistic. The only apparent reason Rose is drawn to Dimitri is because he’s a handsome “badass,” who also happens to be older than her. I guess it would be typical for a rebellious girl like her to go after the “ experienced bad boy,” though. And when Dimitri finally admits he likes her too, the first reason he offers up is because of her appearance. The whole thing just seems rather shallow, cliche, and underdeveloped. The only real thing they have in common is their duty to guard and protect.

Also, having two main characters feel "mysteriously drawn to each other" is NOT an excuse for a lack of romantic development. I want to know why they like each other (for reasons other than beauty), I want to see them get to know each other over time, and perhaps later, they can take their relationship to the next level.

Plot and Writing Style - Basic Thoughts:

Pros: There was something addicting about the book, I cant exactly say what though considering I have so many complaints about it. Perhaps I was just curious about what other sort of trouble Rose would get herself into. The overall plot was somewhat interesting, especially the different classes of vampires. And the writing style wasn’t bad, easy to read and decent on description.

Cons: Wayyyy too much inappropriate material in VA for this to be considered a Young Adult book, in my honest opinion. Same thing goes for a book (series) similar to this one, The House of Night. Sex, drugs, drinking, etc. Now believe me, I’m not a prude. I know this stuff happens in the teen world ALL the time (partly I think because it's so romanticized in the media). And the thing about sex in a book is, ok fine, it's part of the progression in a relationship between two people, but seriously, you can't expect me to be happy about it when they have sex (or almost have sex) when their relationship hasn't progressed much at ALL. This goes for YA books with sex in general. I mean jeez, at least the Twilight series waited until the fourth book until Bella and Edward did the deed. I'm not against pre-marrital sex, but I just think there should be a little more time passed and growth in the relationship before the clothes start flying off.

Things like this (media like books, tv shows, movies) only perpetuate that as a teen, being popular, being beautiful, and being incomplete without a significant other are the only important things you should care about. It perpetuates this oversexualized ideal that we think we're supposed to be at such a young age. It perpetuates this immaturity and rudimentary set of priorities.

One scene that really pissed me off (spoiler alert):

That near sex scene at the end of chapter twenty. I have never wanted to chuck a book at the wall so much (don’t worry, I contained myself). I calmed down slightly after I found out they only almost slept together because of the enchanted necklace, but still, it made me really peeved. It felt like Mead just wanted to shove that in there for shock value. I MEAN COME ON, what were you thinking Richelle Mead? Did you wake up one day and say “I know! I’ll have the villain give her a magic sexy-time necklace!” (Not that Rose needed one…)



My review in a nutshell:

Did this book meet my high expectations? NOT AT ALL
More cons than pros, hardly any likeable characters (If I had to chose I’d say my favorite was Christian), and just an overall disappointment. Will I read the sequel(s)? Eh…maybe. If I find them in the library, perhaps, but right now I don’t plan on buying any more books in the VA series.

EDIT: A review that shares my opinions, better explained than mine:

Note to VA lovers: I ask you to please respect my opinions, as I respect yours. If you love this book, then I'm happy for you. It just wasn't for me.
143 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

05/06/2011 page 80
24.0% "Ummm...I don't really like Rose." 4 comments
05/07/2011 page 226
68.0% "Please, Richelle Mead. No more dead animals. I can't take the images." 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-50 of 150) (150 new)

Adela Clancy I didn't like this first book very much either when I read it, but for some strange reason I stuck with it and now it's actually one of my favorite series'. I think you should atleast read one more book before dumping the series, if that's what you're gonna do. IMHO the series gets better, though Rose is still kind of annoying at times lol

musi I'm 14, and I could handle this book. I read books much worse! Well, they were adult fiction, but I thought it was just medium, the content in this book.

Scarlet Musi wrote: "I'm 14, and I could handle this book. I read books much worse! Well, they were adult fiction, but I thought it was just medium, the content in this book."

I'm not saying people can't "handle" it. Though just because someone can handle it doesnt mean they should read it at a younger age. I guess it all depends on how you were raised. Some parents let their kids have more freedom at a younger age. I was taught what was appropriate and inappropriate for my age all throughout my life, so I guess my opinions are a bit different. But given how fast kids seem to be "growing up" these days, I cant say I'm surprised by how many younger kids read books with inappropriate material.

message 4: by Kaethe (new) - added it

Kaethe I cant say I'm surprised by how many younger kids read books with inappropriate material.

You'd have been horrified when I was growing up, back before there were any YA books and kids went straight from Nancy Drew to Jacqueline Susann and other books intended for an adult audience. Usually by age 12. I don't think kids are growing up any faster in their reading habits. On the contrary, I think the rise of YA has given them many more options for appropriate works.

(Consider this: Lord of the Flies and The Catcher in the Rye were the only two books I read with teen protagonists from 6th grade until...well, a while after college, probably)

message 5: by Nan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nan Hi Scarlet. I'm not trying to be a troll and pile on here, but I do have at least a small disagreement with what you've written here.

You say that Rose was being rebellious just "to be bad." (That's from one of your comments, above.) I don't agree with that. At the start of the book, she and Lissa are returned to the Academy after having run away in order to keep Lissa safe. She had a reason to rebel at that point. Her later rebellions also have reasons. Rose does not want the destiny her culture has planned for her. She wants to be a guardian, yes, and enjoys the hard work that goes into training. But she only sees two options in her life: guardian or blood whore. When she's rebelling and breaking the rules, part of the reason for it is because she cannot stand that she only has the two choices. (A blood whore is someone that allows herself to be bitten during intimate acts. Since dhampirs are sterile with one another and only have children if one of the parents is a Moroi, her only two options are guardian or parent--and dhampir mothers are considered blood whores by the Moroi community.) That sort of social confinement sounds like a darn good reason to rebel in my mind.

Scarlet Please note that I said "in most cases." I recognize that some of her rebellious acts had good intentions behind them as you mentioned above, but I was mainly talking about where she acts out for her own selfish reasons, not the ones where she's doing what she thinks is right for herself and Lissa.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I agree that Rose is a very abrasive protagonist & difficult to read. Even now, after three books, have I learned to like Rose? ....Not particularly. :P I stuck it out because I liked the world-building & was interested in the supporting cast -- Lissa & Christian, especially, but also Adrian (who doesn't appear until book 2) & Dmitri & Mia (who is also a b**ch, but for some reason I like her anyway).

That said, I can totally understand why it's not for everyone. By all accounts I shouldn't like it; normally I avoid violent, chip-on-their-shoulder narrators with strong Mary Sue tendencies. I guess it's become a soap opera on my YA shelf. *shrug* But you might try FROSTBITE before giving up. Book 2 is my favorite of the series (though I'm only half done with VA, so take that rec with a grain of salt).

Scarlet Thank you Sarah, I'm glad someone understands my distaste for Rose XD A lot of people have told me to try and read at least one more book, so perhaps I will, but it will only be if I can find it at the library. I liked the world-building part of VA as well, and I think that if certain plot and character elements had been different, I would have enjoyed this book much more.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah YA & urban fantasy seem to breed abrasive heroines. I enjoy a chick that kicks butt, but surely there's a happy medium between wishy-washy & abrasive-like-woah. Rose is especially frustrating because I understand her frustrations about Lissa & dhampir choices, but she seems to enjoy making herself as unlikable as possible. Would it really be so hard to admit that your life isn't THAT bad? C'mon, Rose, you can do it. :P

I bet you can find FROSTBITE at the library. :) We sell that series pretty regularly at the bookstore where I work, so they must keep them on hand for loan.

Ellen The first book is full of foreshadowing on her behaviour and actions and views as such for the rest of the series :) I understand that she does come off as a not very nice person, but she has her redeeming qualities (her protectiveness of Lissa as an example) and like the others have said, you're better of trying Frostbite before giving up completely XD

Amanda I'd have to recommend you try the next book too. :) The first is my least favorite in the series, and Rose probably doesn't get any less violent, but I think she does mature.

Redsketch Have you read the entire series, or just this one book?
Personally, I like that Rose wasn't perfect. There's waaaaay too many heroines out there that are always noble, always do the right thing, are always 100% sure of their feelings, and never kiss a single boy before they find the one "they can't live without." I like Rose because she's realistic, and the mistakes she makes are just part of her personality, part of growing up.
That being said, this is the first book in a series that gets A LOT better as it goes on, making room for some really good character development, plot twists, and growth. :) I have to recommend that you read the rest of the series, since it redeems many of the annoying qualities of the first book. :)

Scarlet Oh I agree that I like heroines that aren't perfect, it's just I thought Rose was way too agressive, manipulative, and vain, among other things.

message 14: by Pao (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pao I think Redsketch is right, the first book took a long time to hook me but the whole series are awesome, I also like that Rose is not the same as any main character, she makes mistakes and she's reckles which along the story makes her more interesting and impressive on her choices, she grows and she gets in more trouble but that's what makes this books really good, the best way to read this series is just reading it without expectations, if you had read it without expectations you would have found more pros, you can't read a book because of its reputation,then you would be dissapointed, also you should give a try to the second book.

Scarlet Honestly, even without my high expectations I still think I would have been disappointed. But like I said before, I will perhaps give Frostbite a chance in the future.

iamjenai I did not like the first book either and if you ask me, I always tell my friends to read Frostbite first because reading the first book will definitely make them hate the series ;) So try Frostbite like you said ;)

Scarlet Alright, thanks :)

message 18: by .·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Tomas Vrbada Like Woe × ¨*: (last edited Jan 13, 2014 06:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Tomas Vrbada Like Woe × ¨*: Personally i felt she tried way too hard to make Rose rebellious, Seriously who (in kindergarden, no less.) calls their teacher a fascist b*st*rd? O.o

Not trying to offend anyone or anything, i'm just mentioning what Rose said herself in the book.

Scarlet Haha, I know. At times Rose just got way over the top.

message 20: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali The same thing happens in her Dark Swan series, its more adult, but it has a better story line. I think you'd like it, just by looking at some of your books. But young adults pertains to the ages 14- 21, roughly. So its targeted at older teenagers and younger 20s. xD

Scarlet Yes, but sadly the target range isnt always the actual range. There are some young kids out there that read young adult books. This is why I really wish books had content warnings (like with movies and some manga/comic books). Like hey, there's references to sex and drugs in here! Maybe you shouldnt let your 12 year old read it!

message 22: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali But most 12 year olds ARE coming into this in their every day lives. But reading about it can be desensitizing them to it so I agree with your Content Warning for books. But right now their parents should be on their case about it. Really, its up to them how their kid should be raised and that includes what books they read. :P

Scarlet Kids are around this at that age BECAUSE of things like this. Books, movies, magazines, tv shows....a lot of it is telling them that it's normal at a younger age when it shouldnt be.

message 24: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali They're also around it because of their peers, family members, and "just trying to fit in". Kids learn things from their older siblings and think "Oh, I can do that" So they tell it to their friends and that's how things get started, especially in the middle school years. I'm not saying that the media and books aren't apart of the problem. But most magazines like Seventeen, CosmoGIRL, and US Weekly aren't targeted at 12 and younger. Are you saying that tv programs and magazines and books should stop producing what they're making for the age group they're targeting because of some kids' parents who aren't keeping a better eye on them?

Scarlet No, I'm not saying that. In the end I can't be a parent to every child in the world, and I can't tell tv networks or movie producers to stop making shows and films. Not that I'd want to, but even if I did I wouldn't get very far. I guess the point I'm trying to make is I find it sad that younger kids are getting exposed to some of these things too early. Childhood should be a time of fun and innocence, not sex and getting high and using physical abuse because they think it makes you seem cool or tough. Like I said, I would love to see them at least put content warnings on books. There are many good parents out there who might see VA and say "Oh look, it's a cool vampire book. My child loves vampires, and this one is popular, I should get this for her!" All the while they dont know it contains material they might not deem appropriate for their daughter to read at her age.

message 26: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali That's true. I still think that someone should make a person fill out an application before they can have a kid. xD
But I think a parent should read the book before giving it to their child. That's what my mother did when I wanted to read one of her books. But she's always given me freedom in trusting that I'll pick an age appropriate book.

Scarlet Haha yeah, some parents really shouldn't be parents.

My mom was the same way, but now that I'm almost a legal adult she does give me more freedom with what I choose to read. She still likes looking at my books before we buy them though, mainly out of curiousity and to see the price tag XD But she's for the most part always trusted my judgement.

message 28: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali My moms the same way! She'll flip through it and then decide. But usually she just looks at the cover, reads the back, and then checks out the price tag. xD

message 29: by Kaethe (new) - added it

Kaethe As a mother, my only question is "Will you loan it to me when you're done?"

message 30: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali Lol, My madre usually just asks me to get a book for her. And then once I get it she's like so. You want to read? The only book she's ever really asked me to read is Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man by Steve Harvey xD

message 31: by Kaethe (new) - added it

Kaethe Ha! My daughters and I swap books and recommendations all the time. So do my mother (and -in law). Mockingjay had us all fighting it out to be the first reader.

Scarlet I read passages I really like out loud to my mom sometimes, but she prefers the action/espionage/spy thriller type books over my fantasy/paranormal/dystopia books, so we dont usually fight over who reads what first. The only books we've both read are some of the Princess Diaries series, and I've looked at a lot of the stuff on her shelf, like the Lost Symbol and the Gift of Fear.

message 33: by Kaethe (new) - added it

Kaethe I love Meg Cabot! I think The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence is a really useful book.

Scarlet Me as well! And I agree. I think more people should read The Gift of Fear. The statistics in that book alone are shocking.

message 35: by Kaethe (new) - added it

Kaethe Mmmhmm.

message 36: by Tane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tane this book is amazing ... first off, rose is strong, shes strong willed, shes not like all those other girls in books im sick of, weak willed, always shy in front of boys, so girly when hot guys come near them, gosh im just sick of all the little weak willed girls i read about in books, man this book is amazing, rose strong girl, never falls for hot boys, meaning she doesnt get all speaky shy in front of boys, she has a snarky attitude which i love and i rate the book 5 stars

Scarlet Well that's great that you think that. Perhaps you should write that in your own review? And I said that I liked that Rose wasnt as wimpy as other characters I've seen, but sometimes she's way too over the top. She DOES fall for hot guys. She only likes Dimitri because she thinks he's a hot badass, and she always talks about hot guys that "girls just want to get naked with."

Jennifer On the matter of this book being too inappropriate for young adults, take into consideration what most 'young adults' do now-a-days. Kids see worse stuff just walking down the street or going to school. Please keep in mind that Rose IS a teen-aged girl with good looks and lots of 'friends'. Most teenagers smoke, cuse, and 'almost loose their virginity' ALL THE TIME. That's what teenagers DO.
I think if you ever read the rest of the series, you'd see just how much Rose CHANGES over that timespan. THAT is what everyone is so excited over. You watch Rose, Lissa, and everyone else grow up from TEENAGERS into mature ADULTS. Yes, she's dramatic, yes, she's a bit 'slutty' but she is JUST like every other teen-aged girl before they start to grow up.
As for her liking Dimitri only because he's hot and mysterious, that's what made her look, but if she didn't develop REAL feelings for him, she might as well have ended up with someone like Eddy or Adrian. She loves Dimitri because he's strong, smart, witty, and caring. His being a super HOTTY is only a perk. Can you BLAME her for falling in love with a hot guy who has GOOD characteristics?

message 39: by Scarlet (last edited Apr 21, 2012 11:00PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scarlet Well first off, not ALL teenagers act like this. I know plenty of them who dont like drinking, smoking, or having sex at their age. But I am aware that a lot of them do. If you read my entire review, you would know where I stand on those matters. I never said it was all bad, but a lot of it isnt ok, either.

Again, you're wrong about all teenage girls being "just" like that before they grow up. Not all teens are jealous, abusive, slutty jerks with an ego.

From what I hear, Rose gets worse, but it would be nice if she grew up a little. Or A LOT. I've stated that I will consider reading Frostbite, but I still have no connection to Rose and honestly dont care about her as a character, because she makes herself so unlikable throughout the whole book.

And finally, yes, Dimitri being cute is definitely a perk, but that aside, I didnt feel like there was any real chemistry or development of their relationship. And honestly I found it rather weird.

This book just wasnt for me, but if you like it, then I'm happy for you.

Carolyn This review is amazing. I hated the book with a passion and will not be buying anymore from this series.

Chinemerem OMG, I felt like I was the only who hated Rose. This book sums up my feelings toward the book greatly.

message 42: by Tane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tane Chinemerem wrote: "OMG, I felt like I was the only who hated Rose. This book sums up my feelings toward the book greatly."

What a rediculous thing to say. I guess your the kind of person who likes the week willed, dreamy eyed girl who gets all shy and nervous by hot guys.

Chinemerem Tane wrote: "Chinemerem wrote: "OMG, I felt like I was the only who hated Rose. This book sums up my feelings toward the book greatly."

What a rediculous thing to say. I guess your the kind of person who likes..."

You don't know me so don't make assumptions on the type of protagonists I like. Yes, I get bored with the same weak, shy girls but rude, bad-tampered, and boy-crazy girls are not a good alternative for me. It's MY OPINION so I can think whatever I like. Sure I can't relate to all the reviews stating they loved Rose but I can definitely RESPECT THEIR OPINION.I suggest you do the same for me.

message 44: by Tane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tane Was just saying, my opinion on your post, get over it :)

Scarlet Chinemerem wrote: "OMG, I felt like I was the only who hated Rose. This book sums up my feelings toward the book greatly."

Glad you liked the review!

message 46: by Scarlet (last edited Jul 07, 2012 01:00PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scarlet @Tane

No need to be rude. And yes, you were assuming things by saying Chinemerem must only like weak girls. Since Chinemerem and I share the same opinion of Rose, you must assume the same about me. But you'd be wrong. I dont like bitchy protagonists, and I also dont like mary-sue protagonists. I like complex characters that arent one extreme or the other, but rather a balance.

Hermione, like I mentioned, is perfect. She is kind, loyal, tough, smart as hell, funny, independent, and has real emotions. Perfect character.

Velvia Keithley Scarlet,

I have really enjoyed reading your review and all of these comments. I have written YA fiction and I often wonder how far to go with things like sex, drugs, etc. I know I cannot assume every teenager is the same, or even have 50% of the same experiences. You seem extremely intelligent and well-read for 16, making wonderful points.

I do think Rose's character goes to extremes, but there is a reason for it (kind of) that gets explained in later books.

Young adult is a strange genre. What the average 13 year old and the average 17 year old can read may be two entirely different things. I think Mead wrestles with that, but then again, I met her and she said she was used to writing more racy stuff for adults. Maybe she had a hard time toning down her YA stuff.

Thanks for your review.

message 48: by Scarlet (last edited Jul 03, 2014 12:06AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scarlet Velvia wrote: "Scarlet,

I have really enjoyed reading your review and all of these comments. I have written YA fiction and I often wonder how far to go with things like sex, drugs, etc. I know I cannot assume ..."

I'm glad you enjoyed my review and thank you for your lovely comments!

Yeah, I can understand how compared to her racy novels, Mead would think VA was very toned down, which is true in that sense. But when you don't set them against anything else, they still are very racy for the YA genre, in my opinion.

Like I said, I dont mind sex so much as I mind how frequently and quickly it seems to come up in YA. I dont mind if the two characters decide to do the deed (in a non-graphic/non-explicit way - this IS for young adults, after all.), but what really bothers me is that there is no growth in the relationship most of the time, the cliche "insta-love." Having the two main- characters feel "mysteriously drawn to each other" is NOT an excuse for a lack of romantic development. I want to know why they like each other (for reasons other than beauty), I want to see them get to know each other over time, and perhaps later, perhaps a few books later, they can take their relationship to the next level.

But frankly I think books like this are just more fuel to the fire that makes teens think sex early in the relationship (or before there really is one) is ok, and that shallow "love" is normal. Pff.

Raven I just find it funny that you think Katniss is a "better" Heroine... Katniss who through three books allows herself to be used as a pawn. Who does not decide which man to go with because of love or greater good, but who is better in each situation. Who does not make decision based on what would be best for the people that are around her or working with her. She is very much a Mary Sue, she seems to feel or display so little emotion, and yet she is the better hero?
Rose is hard to like but comes from a unique situation, and much like Faith from BtVS, we like her because she is such a badass especially when she pulls her head out of her butt and bucks up and acts responsibily. Her loyalty and care for Lissa is love in its purest form. She would die for Lissa and that is so uncommon in most books like there. Most youth oriented books have the catty friends that would stab you in the back as easy as blinking.

message 50: by Mei (new) - added it

Mei Raven wrote: "I just find it funny that you think Katniss is a "better" Heroine... Katniss who through three books allows herself to be used as a pawn. Who does not decide which man to go with because of love or..."

Yes, Because Mary Sue's are dirt poor, average looking, have to take care of their sibling because their mother is depressed, and to top it all off, thrown in an area to fight to the death.

I'm not that big of a fan of Katniss, but I still have to give props to her. If I were in her situation I'd probably be dead.

« previous 1 3
back to top