Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)'s Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

I never thought about how important the sky was until I didn't have one.

It is like a piece of my soul had been lost, empty, and it is now filled with the light of a million stars.

This is a chilling novel about jumping in, losing all and learning to live.

This is not the love story I expected it to be – can hardly be called a love story. There is too much loss and loneliness for that. No, this is the story of a girl, unhinged from everything dear and thrown out, into a very dark place – just as a flickering star, somewhere out in space. This is the story of a boy who feels alone among his people, who treasures the colour of the sunsets he has never known and for whom life is spirit.

Do not take up this novel if you are not ready for angst, or horror. Across the Universe is a deeply psychological read, dystopian in its entirety, but as the poet has stated – the most beautiful flowers grow within the deserts of life. And so, as we follow our two heroes, we experience their great strength and great warmth, tested and surviving, growing.

I caught myself reveling in the breaths I took, in the comfort I had, in the simple facts of a blue sky and warm sun above while reading this. It made me feel alive, it made me think of the worder of life, of the wonder of a body free to run and a mind open to explorations. It would be the cliché, saying we should appreciate the things we take as given, but once you focus on how very marvelous they are – as Amy did, upon thinking of her lost home on Earth, you find there is true fire, an awakening force in seeing, and taking the time to marvel.

For all that said, the novel is not dry and philosophical. It is nothing like that. Through the actions and choices and thoughts of the characters going through extreme bends in the road a reader recognizes these truths. But this is still a story of humour and adventure, a fiction on life, friendship, love.

It is the story of Amy and Elder.
4 likes · Likeflag

5.0% "That's a creepy beginning... but very realistic. I knew this book would be good =)" 3 comments