Chibineko's Reviews > 666 Park Avenue

666 Park Avenue by Gabriella Pierce

Jan 06, 11

bookshelves: harpercollins, netgalley, thriller, paranormal-chick-lit-horror-romance
Read from December 27, 2010 to January 06, 2011

If The Devil Wears Prada married Rosemary's Baby and had their way with Cate Tiernan's Sweep series, then I think the resulting offspring would probably come out a little bit like this.

Before I get started with my review, I have to stress that this is more chick lit than urban fantasy. To be honest, this is really more of a new genre- not quite chick lit but not quite urban fantasy or supernatural/horror thriller. It doesn't even really fit into the paranormal romance genre either. As such, there's going to be a few who will probably be a little weirded out by this book. That's OK as long as they don't completely dismiss it because this book is a very easy & interesting read.

The premise of the book (boy meets girl then discovers wicked mother in law) isn't very new, nor is the addition of magic, yet Pierce does a pretty good job of mixing it all into something that's a little new. Jane's a little bit of an average girl in the heroine category, but she's got gumption. Despite being overwhelmed by everything, she refuses to play the victim but doesn't go the "spunky/happy/gritty" route that other heroines tend to be in magic related fiction. Readers will really love the description of magic in this world, but some might get frustrated that we only get to see a brief glimpse of it here.

Some might get a little discouraged that much of the action doesn't really happen until the later part of the book or that there's not a huge amount of chemistry between Jane & her fiancee. Stick with it guys- there's a reason for the chemistry & while Jane does take a while to really get rolling with her magic, it does help make it a little more realistic. (After all, the average person would probably take that long to get started, being so overwhelmed.) When the stuff does start going down, I promise that you'll be hooked.

This is definitely a first novel, but Pierce already has an easy style of writing that will be appealing to many & there's room for more novels in this series (please?), so we're sure to see some top notch writing in the next book in the series. (Pretty please?)

(ARC provided by NetGalley)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 666 Park Avenue.

01/05/2011 page 19
6.0% "I'm going to guess there's a reason behind Jane's grandmother's actions as well as Jane's ability to break things. Pretty good so far. Definitely chick lit, but that's a VERY good thing as far as I'm concerned!"
01/05/2011 page 28
9.0% "Oooh... I don't think that was due to natural causes..."
01/05/2011 page 60
19.0% "Mother-in-law alert! Very catty..."
01/05/2011 page 63
20.0% "Hmm... now I can see why some people made comparisons to Devil Wears Prada. Jane's future MIL is sort of a b****."
01/05/2011 page 153
48.0% "Ok... now I've got a new suspicion. And that involves a certain two people. I hope I'm not right. Poor Jane... can you trust anyone?"
01/06/2011 page 173
54.0% "Awww... please don't be evil, Dee! This book has me doubting everyone!"
01/06/2011 page 200
63.0% "Only 67 pages left to go in my ARC & I can't wait to see how it ends. I can't help but feel that there's going to be a huge twist at the end, so I'm unable to take anyone at face value so far."
01/06/2011 page 225
70.0% "Eee... be careful Jane!Lynne isn't going to be happy after something like that..."
01/06/2011 page 239
75.0% "My reaction to a big reveal: *gasp!* Wasn't expecting that!"
01/06/2011 page 320
100.0% "Finished! I didn't need to be as paranoid as I was, but the reveal did take me by surprise."