Triffany's Reviews > Ahab's Wife, Or, The Star Gazer

May 22, 2007

liked it
Recommended for: Moby Dick Fans
Read in September, 2007

When I started reading this book, I was thinking, "How could anyone give this any fewer than 4 to 5 stars?!?!" The writing was so beautiful and the world through the main character's eyes, although difficult, was beautiful and new and she was chameleon-esque changing and adapting to every day that she faced.

I was fascinated through most of it, wondering at how a person (even a fictional one) could continue to live life so far removed from her 'self'; her ego. She truly discovered the land, the landmarks and the people around her in a way that is usually reserved for the eyes and minds of small children.

And then the last...oh.... quarter of the book, I was reminded that this was not a real person and certainly the book (really the author) was not immune to the over descriptive, Steinbeck-y, drivel.

Overall, it is still an enjoyable tale with some opportunity for ideological discovery and self reflection, but if I ever read it again I will stop reading it after Cpt. Ahab dies. (I trust that does not ruin any plot points as this is the same Cpt. Ahab in Moby Dick - therefore, his demise should be of little or no surprise to most.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ahab's Wife, Or, The Star Gazer.

message 1: by Barb (new) - added it

Barb She does say, right at the beginning, "Ahab was neither my first husband nor my last".