Truly Bookish's Reviews > Falling Under

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Jun 07, 2011

liked it

3.5 stars. I’ve seen many books compared to Twilight and while I think some of the comparisons are a stretch, Falling Under struck me as the closest I have seen in a while. I liked Twilight so by no means is this comparison a dig. Falling Under is darker than Twilight and with a bit of the Hades and Persephone mythology thrown in.

When Theia sees Haden for the first time, she is understandably drawn to him since she has been having very lucid dreams about him. Haden tells her he is not a good guy and she should stay away from him. She knows there is something dark and dangerous about him but she just can’t resist him. He even calls her lamb.

There are some really great things about this book. The image of the burning man, the surreal descriptions of the dream world and Haden’s world, and the mythological aspects of the story (I love Greek myth!).

There were other things I didn’t really care for. Haden treats Theia really poorly for most of the book. He is very gentlemanly in the dream world but when they are in the real world, he flirts with her one minute and openly seduces other girls the next. Seduces them. In her face. The really sad part is Theia just keeps coming back for more. He throws jealous fits and is possessive and controlling. I get his reasoning behind it but why bother flirting with her in the first place? Because her can’t resist her?

Then there is Theia’s boy crazy, sexually aggressive best friend Donny. It is such a double standard to have a female character treat boys the way Donny does. If she were a boy using girls for sex, she would be vilified, not seen as being liberated, empowered or whatever she is supposed to be.

The book does end well and I especially enjoyed the portion told from Haden’s perspective. I grew to like both his character and Theia’s a lot more by then. Falling Under does end with a bit of a cliffhanger so I expect there will be a sequel. On a side note, the cover of this book is amazing!

Content: Profanity, sexual situations, violence
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Under.