Sensitivemuse's Reviews > The Dark Deeps

The Dark Deeps by Arthur Slade

Jun 22, 11

Read on December 27, 2010

***Possible spoilers***

I enjoyed the first book, and I enjoyed this one even better. This one rather focuses more on Modo and Colette (another spy but for the French) aboard a submarine. The addition of Griff into the story- who makes a perfect creepy villain, also made the book a great read.

What I enjoyed the most out of the story is the underwater city. I absolutely loved that part! the descriptions, the overall feel to it was so rich in description and was easily pictured. It was like reading a description of the lost city of Atlantis. The book has a certain ‘Captain Nemo’ feel to it because of the adventure at sea but the intrigue is what sets it apart and that’s where Griff comes in and provides a spectacular role. He does make a chilling villain despite this book meant for children, I have read nasty villains before, but this one fits perfect for the target age audience.

I thought Colette and Modo made a great team! they worked great together - it’s an interesting contrast to what you see with Octavia and Modo (where they bicker at times - which is cute) but Colette seems to be the more calm, mature type character whereas I see Octavia as a small explosive firecracker (for lack of a better terminology!). I’m actually liking the fact that Octavia does really care about Modo, as she does show how she really feel throughout the book.
I’d have to say, I think the only thing I did not really like is the late entrance of the Clockwork Guild. I thought they were going to be in the book for longer but no, so it was just a little disappointing. I was hoping there would be more of them hanging around (Well, Griff doesn’t really count. Sort of. I was hoping for more of Miss Hakkandottir.)

This was a great follow up to the First Hunchback Assignments. I did recently grab the third one; Empire of Ruins and am hoping it will be just as good! This series has to be one of my favorites of Children’s Fiction.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Deeps.