Tim's Reviews > The Sandman Library 4: Season Of Mists

The Sandman Library 4 by Neil Gaiman

Jan 23, 11

bookshelves: comix, fantasy
Read in January, 2011

4.5 stars. Definitely the most ambitious entry in the Sandman series (at least among those I've read so far). After the short story morsels of the first three volumes its nice to see Gaiman stretch out for a longer story arc. The story is breezy and funny, but also packs a lot of philosophical heft (particularly the segments in Hell, as you might expect).

I wanted to give this five stars because I have really enjoyed all the volumes and this seemed such a big step up in quality. But there's still something a little static about Sandman -- I mean, he is Endless, after all. So while the stakes are high in the stories there's not always a real sense of risk or fear of loss involved. Even Superman had kryptonite.

Instead, the cleverness of Gaiman's plotting and the nifty-ness of how he unties his own narrative knots is brought to the front. This cleverness gives all the stories an aura of inevitability, not unlike myths or fables... which is almost certainly what Gaiman had in mind. And I have to admit it works on its own terms, plus I'm curious to learn where Morpheus goes from here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman Library 4.