Rae Ganci Hammers's Reviews > And the Heart Says Whatever

And the Heart Says Whatever by Emily Gould

Jan 17, 2011

did not like it
Read in January, 2011

What a colossal disappointment. I read about this book...somewhere, I can't remember where...and thought it's description promised a fulfilling look a life I daydream about - a young, literary-inclined woman in her 20s trying to make it in the big city. Blogging and boozing and break-ups and breakdowns. Scummy jobs, better jobs, dabbling with various members of the opposite sex, eye-rolling at parents who don't get it. And yes, all of those things were in Ms. Gould's book. But she didn't tell us anything new about them.

I had high-hopes - as I do with most books that I read - that the author would share something insightful, or a unique perspective. But there was none of this here. It felt like it was written by a high school student imagining what life in New York would be like, not someone who lives there. I found these essays meandering, boring, kind of superficial, void of any genuine self-reflection, and without any glimmer of surprise or discovery.

Gould's essays were unconvincingly self-deprecating and at the heart of this book was clearly an narcissistic attempt at catharsis for a break-up she still isn't over. After essay number three I wondered how many more were going to be about her break-up with Joseph. And lo-and-behold, I think 10 of the 11 dealt with that "theme" directly.

I studied modern and contemporary art in college and I used to think it really stupid and unfair when people said, "Oh, that isn't art. I could do that." One of a number of my standard replies was, "But you didn't. The artist did." I will defend this viewpoint forever - that it's difficult to judge something that you don't do yourself. However, this book really tested me thinking on this. I expected so much more from a professional writer and kept thinking to myself...even I could do better than this. So maybe Ms. Gould's book is the best book I've ever read in that sense. It may just inspire me to write my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And the Heart Says Whatever.

06/08/2016 marked as: read