Rachel's Reviews > Pamela; or, Virtue Rewarded

Pamela; or, Virtue Rewarded by Samuel Richardson

Oct 26, 2014

did not like it
Recommended to Rachel by: forced to read it for school
Recommended for: 18th century literature lovers
Read in February, 2008

Man, reading this book for 18th century literature was like a bad hangover except with no booze involved - just a headache. It was so very very long and so very very bad. I had to skim through the last half of the book, because I couldn't be bothered to give a damn.

The main character Pamela irritated me to death. Her virtue is her defining point and while I understand that morals and sexuality were VERY different in the 1700s, I didn't want to sit there and read page after page about a servant girl protecting her virtue from her CREEPY employer. The parody take on her (Shamela) was much more entertaining.

And don't even get me started on Mr. B. I wanted to throttle him and thrust a chastity belt in his face. This isn't to say I don't enjoy morally ambiguous characters ("A Clockwork Orange" is one of my favorite novels ever and we all know how sweet Alex is), but Mr. B and Pamela felt so flat to me. A cardboard box has more personality.

Of course, being forced to read this book for class and then being told repeatedly that it was the Greatest Thing Ever probably had a negative impact on my overall opinion. *sigh* Thank you, dear professor!
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pamela; or, Virtue Rewarded.

Jessica yes, waking up with a hangover.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Storm I'm reading it right now and loving it, but your review made me laugh all the same!