karen's Reviews > Sandwich

Dec 27, 10

bookshelves: eats
Read in December, 2010

TWO WORDS: WASABI HOLLANDAISE

several more words: this book is wonderful. sandwiches, schmandwiches, right? but there are so many excellent and exciting recipes in here! OH MY GOD, PEANUT BUTTER, APRICOT AND WALNUTS!!! WHICH HAS HONEY AND IS ON RAISIN-WALNUT BREAD!! YUMMM!!!

and this croissant delight with red lettuce, radish, scallion, gouda and walnut spread!! WALNUT SPREAD!!! and ohhhh ummmm - mushroom, parmesan and sage!! SAGE!! on bruschetta! OH GOD I MUST EAT YOU!!

cheesy french toast!!
ricotta and grilled apricots!!
glazed banana , peanut butter and sugared pecans!!

oh my god!!

I AM JUST LISTING THE RECIPE NAMES BUT IT IS BECAUSE I AM SO EXCITED TO EAT THEM ALL!

because i mean, it is not hard to make a sandwich, right?? even after a grueling day at the book factory, you can come home, yank out some fancy bread and slap some shit between the pieces. anyone can. even if some of these require some extra steps like grilling some shrimps and making some sort of sauce or what have you. end of the story is - this is easy and fast (LGM) and the variety of flavors here makes me bouncy in my seat. and i am not a fan of egg salad, but the spicy egg salad with beets actually sounds pretty yowza, with its tiny sour pickles.

i had the eggs benedict with smoked salmon and wasabi hollandaise today and i can tell you it was amazing. AMAYYYZING!

EAT A SANDWICH!!! AND THEN TELL ME ALL ABOUT IT!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sandwich.

Jenn "Awww Yeaaahhh" I love sandwiches! Give me some more recipes!

Jenn "Awww Yeaaahhh" Without walnuts though.

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I love sandwiches but i don't know anything past how to make a pb and j or a turkey and cheese. i need to educate myself.

karen do you want the actual recipes, or just the names of them, by which one can infer the assemblage of said sandwiches?

Jenn "Awww Yeaaahhh" If B equals A, then B.

Jenn "Awww Yeaaahhh" karen! I went to Tyler Florence's resto a few weeks ago and had amazing deviled eggs. Yummers!

karen CHICKEN LIVERS, ONION, AND CHERRIES IN BALSAMIC VINEGAR!!!! (IT ALSO INVOLVES SAGE)

FRIED EGGPLANT, TOMATO AND GOAT CHEESE!!!

PROSCIUTTO, MOZZARELLA AND ARTICHOKE HEARTS!! (THIS ONE IS ON WALNUT BREAD, BUT NOT FOR YOU AWWWW YEAAAAHHH)

karen JAY, if and when you come back, will you to town house with me???

Jenn "Awww Yeaaahhh" WHAT!? I LOVE ALL THOSE!!! (Even though chicken livers can sometimes gross me out.)

Thank you!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

my god.

Jenn "Awww Yeaaahhh" karen wrote: "JAY, if and when you come back, will you to town house with me???"

YES I WILL COME BACK AND I WILL GO WHEREEVER YOU WANT TO GO! WE WILL EAT LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW!

Jenn "Awww Yeaaahhh" ps. A David Burke resto and wd-50 were totally on my list already!

message 13: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Jenn! You're like a NYC restaurant queen! I seem to stick to the feeding trough places but you target the fancy multi-courses (love it, tried a few in Chicago and they were dreamy)!

!!!

Jenn "Awww Yeaaahhh" Eh?Eh!!!!

I like to eat fancy food sometimes and NYC has lots of choices. You must come with me and karen! It will be dreamy!

message 15: by Jenn "Awww Yeaaahhh" (last edited Dec 27, 2010 05:05PM) (new)

Jenn "Awww Yeaaahhh" I want to eat karen's fancy food.

karen i also want to go to wd-50, even though part of me is like, "why? - why do that to food???"

message 17: by Eh?Eh! (last edited Dec 27, 2010 05:10PM) (new)

Eh?Eh! The last time I was in NYC I ate here: http://danielnyc.com/cafebouludNY.html
I think we did the 10 course tasting menu and there were 2 bonus ones...so. damn. good.

Also damn good, karen's cookies. And these crazy sandwiches!

The Crimson Fucker dude! you been expending too much time around me! look at all those exclamation marks!!!!!! you are out of control!!!

message 19: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! I know!!!1/1/11@!!!11 You're like red socks in a laundry load of whites, turning everything pink!!!

The Crimson Fucker ugahhahaha! face it!!! talking like this is awesome!!! gua!!!! next time we know Karen is saying stuff like "I'ma and gua! and bua!! and even worse! cursing in spanish!"

message 21: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! karen's a lady, you puta! She would never curse in Spanich!!!

The Crimson Fucker she also lives in NYC! that's how she deals with the mariachis in the subway!!! "callense cabrones! que no ven que estoy leyendo mierda profunda aqui!? CABRONES!!!"

karen i get excited about food!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am about to make another cold meat and cheese platter and eat the rest of my cold duck meat with strawberries and nutella. WHO IS HOTTER THAN ME???

The Crimson Fucker no "gua" at the end of her post!!! awesome!!!!

The Crimson Fucker that's mexican guey!!! in this side of the coast is either puertorican or dominican! mamaguevo! (dont translate that one!)

message 26: by Eh?Eh! (last edited Dec 27, 2010 05:31PM) (new)

Eh?Eh! You already tricked me into translating it before! I know what it means, you dirty boy! Let's get back to the sandwiches! Would a papaya w/platano sandwich work? Maybe with Nutella?

Uh, bua!

The Crimson Fucker my favorite sandwich is fried eggs with ketchup =( i know nasty! but i love it!

i also like honey and butter! i'm a simple man!

message 28: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Once my dad made my sandwich instead of my mom and I got to school and took a bite and it was PEANUT BUTTER AND OLIVES! I never really liked pb sandwiches again, although I do love spicy peanut sauce.

Oh, and Alfonso, I am totally using that line next time.

The Crimson Fucker there was also that time when i created "the panulus obsenum!" which pretty much consisted of like 3 pounds of cheeses and like 2 of lettuce and tomatoes... it took me 2 days to eat it!

message 30: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! There's a nearby French restaurant that makes a delicious vegetarian sandwich, lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado, roasted red peppers, marinated mushrooms, and pesto on a croissant. With cheese!

I do like how honey makes bread all crispy, when you let it sit.

message 31: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! PB & olives??? Wow, dad must've been in a hurry! And maybe hungover.

I love cheese but 3# is too much, ugh!

The Crimson Fucker i've also tried the pizza sandwich... that's when you grab some cold pizza, put it inside a hero and toast it! i like it too!!! (i've eaten anything you can name in a sandwich! ANYTHING!*

*:but cock!

message 33: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Do you even need the hero bun if you fold the pizza over? Then the toppings become filling between bread...the hero bun is just excessive.*

*dude, you said anything

The Crimson Fucker i love hero bread!!! its the greatest bread ever!!!! EVER!!! EVER!!!! better than dominican bread! better than any bread!!!!! if i had to choose a bread to date! i'd date a hero!

*but then i said but cock!!!!

message 35: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Isn't "hero" a complete sandwich, or is it white bread baked in a long loaf form? I think you can have varying quality in this "hero" so does that mean you love the crappy hero?*

*then that wouldn't be "ANYTHING!" C'mon, eat that rooster!

karen my favorite sandwich sounds gross but is in fact delicious. ready??

peanut butter, applesauce and salt and vinegar potato chips. yummmmm!!!

GUAHHHH!!!!!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

hahahaha that sounds awesome!! and crunchy.

karen in the instructions gurion was eating peanut butter sandwiches on toasted raisin bread and i was all yummmmmmmm

message 39: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Hah! Guaaahhhhh! Tasty!

message 40: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Nah, my dad thinks all cooking should be new and adventurous. He also once gave me walnuts and cream cheese on pumpernickel but that was okay. And my 4th grade best friend who never got lunch (and probably not breakfast either, I guess) ate my pb and olive sandwich.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Huh. So obviously you gave this book four stars. But when I go to the book's page, you are listed as giving it three stars. What gives?

karen i blame the bee

message 43: by Ian (new)

Ian Here's one:

Fry up some ground country sausage, small shrimp, garlic, red wine, a little brown sugar. Season to taste with stuff like rosemary (my favorite) or thyme or sage. Add in some diced tomatoes (lots or a little depending on what you like), or instead you can poor in some marinara sauce. That's your filling.

Toast sourdough bread and apply some mayonnaise (yep), and pile in the filling.

Oh hellz yes.

message 44: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Or you could do all that, boil some pasta, and have the sourdough bread with some garlic.

message 45: by Miriam (new)

Miriam russian dressing, local extra sharp cheddar, and broccoli.

Sounds like a good soup.

message 46: by Ian (new)

Ian Miriam wrote: "Or you could do all that, boil some pasta, and have the sourdough bread with some garlic."

That's how it started, but we decided to discard the pasta and put the filling on the toast instead. It was one of the better decisions I've made (up there with proposing to my wife and choosing where to work).

message 47: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Hmmm...I can see the crispiness of toast providing a more interesting contrast. Have you tried it on blini?

karen there is a place in brooklyn i have been meaning to go with this sandwich that sounds amazing... remind me to find the ingredients in this magazine....

message 49: by Joel (new)

Joel i love sandwiches. i like to sing the hot hot heat song bandages but turn it into a song about sandwiches.

the best sandwiches i have ever had are at a place called cafe santropol in montreal. this is sad because i am usually in chicago.

karen http://thegreydog.com/menu.php

i took elizabeth here (not to the carmine st location) because they have awesome sandwiches for veggie-people.

racines suaves sounds yummy.

actually most of those do...
thanks joel!