Melissa's Reviews > The Golden Lily

The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

4019493
Jul 28, 2014

Read on May 25, 2012

First of all, I'd like to thank the team of Penguin Spain, specially Geraldine, for gifting me with an ARC of the book. You guys, thank you SO much. ^^ I'll be forever grateful to you for keeping in contact with me through mails and for sending me this awesome book.

If I could marry books, I'd definitely do it. My first options, of course, would be Richelle Mead's books. I've already said it in other reviews, but I feel the need to say it again and again: Richelle Mead is one heck of an author. She's, by far, one of the best authors I know of out there. I was fascinated with her 'Vampire Academy' series. I felt sad for having to say goodbye to characters I've grew up with in my teen years after reading the last book in the series. But as soon as she announced the 'Bloodlines' spin-off, I was back on my ecstatic mood, coming up with speculations of what might happen in the new series with characters we've already met in the series but haven't got the chance to explore more of their lives.

As soon as Richelle revealed Eddie (Edison Castile) would be one of the main characters in the 'Bloodlines' series, I swear, my heart exploded, lol. He was - aside from the kick-ass Rose and the wonderful Dimitri - my favorite character in the books. We really never got a chance to explore his background after all, and so I was drawn to him since book #1. I thought: 'Oh, he'll finally have a spotlight' and jumped around with speculations and things that might be in store for him in this new series. I was a bit sad after reading Bloodlines, though. One sided love is one of the worst things that could happen to you when you're in love with someone. Eddie had that: A one sided love in the 1st book. I felt for him every time he had to watch the girl he had fallen for in someone else's arms. So I was really, REALLY, happy at the mention of Angeline Dawes (the girl from The Keepers that appeared in "Last Sacrifice") at the end of the first book. I liked her ever since she was first introduced to the readers in the last book of the 'Vampire Academy' series. I specially loved the part where she told Rose, with a bit attitude, not to mess her bed. She won me over instantly. She reminded me of a mini-version of Rose Hathaway, whom I loved so much although she and I had different personalities and minds, lol. And so I had these thoughts running through my mind that she, Angeline Dawes, could be a great match for him, Eddie Castile. :)

I was so glad to see Angeline on the second installment of this series. I couldn't keep the grin off my face while reading the first two chapters(I was on the train with my cousin who wanted to murder me for being silly and giggle like a school-girl while reading the book, lol). Her obliviousness of how things worked outside the woods of West Virginia were cute and funny. She seemed pretty excited with things we stopped finding amazing years ago - such as technology. And sending emails. xD She was so cute, in some sort of way, and also strong and independent. She liked doing things her own way. And that's where her problems lay. She didn't like being sent around. She trusted Sydney and the whole gang, but she didn't trust people at Amberwood so much. Specially the teachers, who were always scolding her because of her own "dress code". I must say the weather had to do a lot with it, so I understand where she was coming from. LOL

Things got so interesting in "The Golden Lily". The story paced was still slow at times, but the plot had me hungering for more and more, I don't think I've blinked even once.

Sydney was still the same Sydney we met months ago, but this time she had a fierce flame about her that just made me pretty happy to see her standing up by what she believed (in her heart) and by her friends. Standing up specially for a very pretty vampire boy *coughAdrianIvashkovcough*. She still had those old Alchemist believes she grew up with, but as the story progressed, she realized that she wants more. More as in having to experience new things people around her had experienced already. So she starts going out with this guy Brayden (every character in the book got his name wrong, except for Sydney. It was damn funny the different names each of the characters had for him, lol). Brayden whom, I swear, is the male version of Sydney. Sydney likes hanging out with him. He's cute, smart and loves all the things she loves. They had the same interests, it freaked me out how alike they were. But even that was not enough for our main character. Sydney didn't feel that thrill everyone talked about when you were supposed to be with the one person who made your heart jump and blush and swoon and faint at the barest touch-- okay I'll stop. xD Anyway, Sydney felt like something was missing in that relationship. She didn't know what it was. Until that one scene with Adrian and her at the end of the book. Gosh! I turned into jelly and was gripping the book so hard, my eyes widened in alert and in my head I was chanting 'Come on, come on, come on' the whole time I was reading THAT scene. And then there were no more words. No more pages and I just wanted to strangle someone. xD The last scene guys, I'm telling you, it'll leave you BREATHLESS.

Adrian, Adrian, ADRIAN. *sighs* He just gets more awesome in each book. He's the fire of this book. He's just...ADRIAN fantastic IVASHKOV. He's so witty. He might look unapproachable and untouchable for people who don't know him, but he has such a big heart, you can't help but feel prey to his charms and goodness. My heart goes to him whenever his heart felt pain. He's so unique. He's one of Richelle's finest creation. :)

Our favorite sexy Russian Dimitri is also back! If you thought Sydney was made of stone, you were wrong. Even she was helpless against Dimitri's charms and looks. Yes, our Alchemist thinks - in her own way - that he is hot, too. ;)

Trey. Despite all things that happened (because of him), I liked him a lot. His and Sydney's friendship was nicely built in this book. I loved all of their scenes, mainly because they were just friends, you know. With all the romantic drama chaos going around, it was nice to read their scenes. Now, there's something I can see coming in the future books: Trey and Sydney's friendship was stronger in this book even at the end when all things went to hell. If Trey remains in this series, I believe he'll be the only competition Adrian will have to win Sydney's heart. Although, I was very confused here because Trey liked someone else. Even at the end of the book, he's sad he can't make a move on the girl he likes because she's forbidden for him. He likes this girl, but he's not in any hurry to do something about it because he has huge things happening in his life. He has a crush that has me confused, lol. If Trey makes a move on this girl (I won't say her name) in the third book, then things will go well for another two characters. But then, there won't be a love-triangle where the main character (Sydney) is involved. I doubt Richelle won't write a main love-triangle. I doubt it.

I can see more romance (we got plenty in this book, don't worry) coming in the third book. Seeing how things turned out for Eddie in this book, I can guarantee that he'll be blessed in the romance department. ;) I really hope Richelle gives him the right romance/girl I'm rooting for *coughangelinecough* in the third book. I mean, I ship Eddie with whomever makes him the happiest man alive. That means he had to be swept off his feet and have a romance filled with love, passion, burning glances, steaming kisses and all that will make him come alive and feel like he's worthy. Because he IS. Eddie, love, you're one fine piece of gold. ;) I really hope he finds his soul-mate. I already have in mind (and in heart) who that girl might be. I'm crossing my fingers that she's the one for him. ^^

There was action and some nice surprises, you guys gotta get your popcorn and soda ready. And also get your heart ready to melt. ;)

Should you read "The Golden Lily"? DEFINITELY. This was one heck of a ride. I can't wait for book #3. We're so far away from it, but still, I'll be (patiently) waiting. :) xD

Here are some of my favorite parts of the book:

"Where did you get those?"

Angeline almost looked proud. "I made them."

"With what, a hacksaw?"

"I had two pairs of jeans," she said pragmatically. "It was so hot outside, I figured I might as well turn one into shorts."

"She used a knife from the cafeteria," said Jill helpfully.

"Couldn't find the scissors," explained Angeline.

My bed. Where was my bed?

-----------------------------------

'Jill was tall and slim, like most Moroi. With that figure came a modest chest. Angeline's chest...was not so modest.'

-----------------------------------

"How is Angeline?" asked Dimitri. "Is she improving?" Eddie and I exchanged glances. So much for avoiding her indiscretions.

"Or in turning off caps-lock?" added Eddie.

"You noticed that too?" I asked.

"Hard not to," he said.

----------------------------------

"What about you, Sage? I know we don't have to worry about you violating the dress code. Did you have fun at your Alchemist spa this weekend?"

EDIT (November 28): FUCK YOU, EDDIE! YOU CAN GO TO HELL! FUCK YOU!
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Lily.

Quotes Melissa Liked

Richelle Mead
“Adrian, I'm on a date. Why are you here? On my car?”

Richelle Mead
“You made your own jean shorts...with a butter knife?”

Richelle Mead
“Jill was tall and slim, like most Moroi. With that figure came a modest chest. Angeline's chest...was not so modest.”

Richelle Mead
“What about you, Sage? I know we don't have to worry about you violating the dress code. Did you have fun at your Alchemist spa this weekend?”

Richelle Mead
“You're in an awfully good mood," he observed. "Was there a sale at Khakis-R-Us?”

Richelle Mead
“Adrian ordered a martini, earning disapproving looks from his father and me.
'It's barely noon,' said Nathan.
'I know,' said Adrian. 'I'm surprised I held out that long too.”

Richelle Mead
“I’d mentioned this odd wardrobe choice to Adrian a couple of weeks ago:
“Isn’t Dimitri hot?”
Adrian’s response hadn’t been entirely unexpected:
“Well, yeah, according to most women, at least.”

Richelle Mead
“Sydney, this is the kind of shirt that says, ‘You’re never getting in here.”

Richelle Mead
“How is Angeline?" asked Dimitri. "Is she improving?"
Eddie and I exchanged glances. So much for avoiding her indiscretions. "improving how exactly?" I asked. "Improving how exactly?" I asked. "In combat, in following the dress code, or in keeping her hands to herself?"
"Or in turning off caps lock?" added Eddie.
"you noticed that too?"I asked.
"Hard not to," he said.
Dimitri looked surprised, which was not a common thing. He wasn't caught off guard very often, but then, no one could really prepare for what Angeline might do.
"I didn't realize I needed to be more specific," said Dimitri after a pause. "I meant combat.”

Richelle Mead
“Ah, those two. In a fight, they’re lethal. Around each other, they melt.”

Richelle Mead
“I’m sorry ma’am,” I said. Really, I had no idea what else to say. I’d spent the weekend caught up in an epic battle to save humanity, and now… jean shorts?”

05/25/2012 page 44
11.0% "As soon as I started reading, I started smiling like crazy (on the bus) in every. damn. page. of this book. xDD"

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kristina B Love ur review! <3

Melissa Kristina Ivashkov wrote: "Love ur review! <3"
Thank you! ^^