Sara Pauff's Reviews > Weeping Underwater Looks a Lot Like Laughter

Weeping Underwater Looks a Lot Like Laughter by Michael J.  White

Jan 11, 11

bookshelves: library-books
Read from December 27, 2010 to January 11, 2011

I started out loving this novel, but it became a bit of a chore to finish. It tells the story of George Flynn and his relationship with his first girlfriend, Emily Schell and her little sister Katie.
The writing is well executed and beautiful, technically; there were several passages I wished I could have underlined and noted for later (I checked my copy out from the library). The character of Katie Schell stood out in particular. Her dark humor and curiosity had me waiting for me her next line and her next appearance in the novel.
But I had a hard time caring about the other characters after Katie died, especially her sister Emily. Since George is involved with Emily, he became slightly annoying by association. At the end of the novel I found myself questioning -- who was George in love with, really? Was it Emily? Or -- even if it only was an unconsummated, innocent crush -- was his first love Katie Schell? I hope it was the latter. It's a more satisfying ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Weeping Underwater Looks a Lot Like Laughter.