Amy Bailey's Reviews > Aftershock: The Next Economy and America's Future

Aftershock by Robert B. Reich

Dec 28, 10

Read from December 27 to 28, 2010

In a world in which "progressive" is considered a dirty word and intellectuals are attacked simply for the sake of being intellectuals, it's hard to believe there are rational people out there who still care about the little guy. This was a very refreshing, concise and easy to follow argument. The book is very short, my hard-back copy at around 147 pages of text not including the Notes to Pages and Index sections. Although seeing the current trend in American thought, I find it hard to believe that our Country will ever impliment any policies such as are outlined by Reich. It's definitely a Utopian ideal that Washington would stop catering to elite and wealthy powerhouses and Wall Street tycoons and would pay attention to how the middle class and poor are actually doing in this tough economy. The author seems hopeful, however, that our economy will bounce back as it did from the 1940's through the 1970's when our economy was in a state of Great Prosperity. I think it will take a while, because there are a lot of kooks out there, and Washington isn't listening to the reasonable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aftershock.