Britney's Reviews > Glass Houses

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

Dec 30, 10

bookshelves: favorites, own
Read from December 27 to 30, 2010

I absolutely LOVED this book! I’m kicking myself for not having read it sooner. It was full of believable, relatable, and lovable characters in a world that was also believable yet different enough to be extremely interesting. I live in Texas so it was fun reading about a small college Texas town that has a dark and forbidding underbelly. For some reason it reminded me of Denton, the college town that I call home.
It’s set in a town that is run by vampires with strict and unspoken rules on how to behave and who is on top. Claire Danvers is new to town as a young freshman at Texas Prairie University (TPU) and has yet to find friends in the small party school where most people drop out or transfer out of after two years. She’s sixteen and a prodigy child and is biding time until she can go to Caltech or Yale or any school that is outside of Texas and further than a few hundred miles from her protective parents.
She’s living in an all-girls dorm and is being hazed by Monica Morrell—scariest and meanest bully that I’ve read since Lord Voldemort—to a shocking degree and is forced to find a safe place to stay. That is when she meets Eve, Shane, and Michael and after some convincing and begging is allowed to move into the Glass House, which is an old mansion that has a strange yet comforting aura about it.
Eve, Shane, and Michael are all characters that I wanted to know and be friends with in real life. They were fun, interesting, and vivacious people that would have been the only reason I would agree to stay in the creepy town of Morganville. I loved them so much that I was a little sad that they aren’t real people. Strange, I know.
The book was full of intense and tense scenes where a more cowardly (or possibly smarter in not putting one’s life on the line) girl than Claire would have broke down and locked herself up in the Glass House or withdrawn from school and gone back home. Part of the time I was wondering why Claire didn’t just go home after being tortured by Monica and her minions, and especially after finding out that there was such a thing as vampires and that they ran the town, but at the same time I didn’t want her to leave. The whole time I was rooting for Claire and her friends and trying to figure out how they were going to survive or get out of whatever issue they stumbled upon.
The book ended on a cliffhanger and everyone is telling me that the series just gets better so I can’t wait to read more about Claire and Shane and Michael and Eve.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glass Houses.

02/02/2014 marked as: favorites