Tracy Riva's Reviews > On Fertile Ground: Healing Infertility

On Fertile Ground by Helen Adrienne

Dec 27, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, non-fiction-grief, fertility, infertility, self-hynosis, non-attachment
Read in November, 2010

On Fertile Ground: Healing Infertility
By Helen Adrienne, LCSW, BCD
Copyright 2011 by Helen Adrienne, ISBN 9781452853758, Library of Congress Control Number 2010906585

Infertility is quite possibly the most trying situation a person, or a couple will ever undergo. It triggers all sorts of hidden inner insecurities and causes those involved to feel a loss of control. On Fertile Ground: Healing Infertility helps place a sense of power back into the hands of couples going through the myriad procedures that may follow a diagnosis of infertility.

It is scientifically proven that hypnosis favorably affects the outcome of procedures used in connection with infertility. In a test group there was a success rate that was double that of the control group when the only difference between the two groups was that the test group received hypnosis prior to the transfer of fertilized eggs (embryos) into the women’s uteri. Similar “letting go” techniques such as relaxation, meditation and self-hypnosis likewise favorably affect the outcomes of fertility treatments.

Helen Adrienne went through her own nightmares with the medical, gynecological society and it motivated her to change her life and become a force that advocates for those who need to regain that sense of control over their lives. Helen writes in plain English, so you are not left wondering what she is saying, or what it means. She remains at all times approachable and she writes with the ease of an old friend sitting down and having a casual conversation about a subject of interest to both of you,

Helen shows you coping mechanisms to help you go from feeling like a victim in the fertility process to aid you feeling like an active partner in the process. She helps you to develop an attitude where you detach from the outcome and participate in the process with greater ease.

Helen also shows how former clients of hers have benefited from the lessons they learned from her and also from the infertility process itself. The clients admit to developing valuable skills that actually improved their lives.

What follows is an excerpt from the early pages of On Fertile Ground: Healing Infertility:

“Andrea was an infertility patient of a colleague of mine. She was kind enough to read an early draft of this book and she captured my central message:

I was struck by the thought that turning inward (learning to be) not only helps to provide
a diversion for the infertility issue, but it also gets deeper into long-term healing. I was
thinking that at such a turbulent time, it is almost overwhelming to think of who you are;
yet if you can push past it, the rewards are plenty. After reading this book, I felt very
hopeful. Learning how the infertility process became a learning experience that had
lasting effects made it seem almost worthwhile. It is your choice to make it what you
wish.

Soon after reading this book, Andrea conceived. You can take heart if you can anticipate feeling renewed hope the way Andrea did.

I formally interviewed more than two dozen former patients in preparation for writing this book. They chose to share the upside results of their downside experience because they wanted you to be inspired to keep the faith. These people rode the not-so-merry-go-round of what to do about their longing for a child, and in the process discovered a more profound and satisfying way to be. It was unanimous among my interviewees that the benefits of going within themselves and rising above themselves during the infertility challenge gave them the confidence to feel that there is nothing that they cannot handle. I heard this comment so often that it was another factor that prompted me to write this book.

I encourage you to start with the following attitude rather than energize the normal worry that nothing will work:

Let’s presume that your child will be conceived, even if, in the final analysis, that child grows in a surrogate’s belly, is the product of someone else’s genetic material, or is born for you. The many options for greater self-awareness along the way can be gifts in disguise for their capacity to transform the infertility desert into fertile ground, full of possibilities. From this vantage point, the fertility quest, working through an unwanted adversity, is about more than getting a baby—a lot more.”

On Fertile Ground: Healing Infertility offers hope, strength and clarity of purpose to the couples, or individuals going through infertility. It is not only the hope that letting go techniques can help raise your chances of successful fertility procedures, but it is more the hope than no matter what comes your way during the process you will be able to cope.

The techniques in On Fertile Ground: Healing Infertility are easy to learn and apply. I used some of them to reduce my own stress level and was pleased with how well they worked. I think most users would have no problem learning a technique in a day and perfecting it over time.

I highly recommend On Fertile Ground: Healing Infertility. I recommend it not only for the chance it offers to increase fertility but for the coping mechanisms it offers for use by those going through what may possibly be the most stressful event in a human life. You can survive it, you can cope and even more, you can emerge from the other side better and stronger than you were before you faced the adversity of infertility.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Fertile Ground.