DarienMoya's Reviews > A Taste of Love

A Taste of Love by Andrew  Grey

Feb 16, 11

bookshelves: three-dollar-bill-reviews, 2011-reads, my-m-m-lovin, young-guys-get-poked-by-oldermen
Read from January 10 to 14, 2011

^^A MILD TASTE TEST!^^

My first book by this author and it really was a good introduction. I did have my faults with the book. I had a hard time really connecting to the story; it started out great in the beginning. I just felt certain parts of the story was unnecessary and created difficulties when none was needed. Moreover, some scenes involving Darryl was just unbelievable and made no sense.

Darryl Hansen is owner and chef at Café Belgie. He loves his job and his restaurant is doing fairly well, so well that he needs to do a bit of hiring. Help comes quickly than anticipated in the form of a very young but attractive Billy Weaver. Clearly, Billy has never worked in the restaurant business, but he seems earnest and is willing to work very hard. Darryl is having a hard time though keeping young Billy out of his head and keeping things professional.

Billy is twenty-one and has to be both mother and father to his 5 years old twin brothers. After losing their parents, Billy has taken up the responsibility in raising them, and keeping a roof over their heads. Things haven’t always been easy, and the job at Café Belgie is a turn for the good and will provide some well-needed money. When Billy is suspected of stealing food from the restaurant, and is tracked down by Darryl his living situations is revealed. Being the good person he is Darryl becomes his knight in shining armour. However, not everything remains sunny and perfect.

Without giving too much away, there is a sad situation involving Billy’s brothers. Though I expected something to happen, I was not expecting what did happen. I don’t whether to be annoyed that the author chose to do this and ruin a story that would have been perfect, or commend him for creating a little bit of angst in the overall plot.

The writing at times felt a bit too stiff, the interaction between Darryl and Billy wasn’t really bursting off the pages. As I said, I was really feeling the beginning and I thought it was going to be real explosive; instead, I wasn’t getting any real emotion. I was reading it; but I wasn’t feeling it. They both lacked passion, and they really did not sizzle together. I did enjoy them both while they spent time with the children, I felt like they really came alive then.

What I did enjoy was the food. I got a little bit hungry for frites and chicken fingers and all the other wonderful things described in the book. I also really did enjoy the twins; they were funny and so realistic of 5-year-old boys. So much energy and so full of life. The ending was very realistic, and I was happy there was nothing really crazy. It was resolved as it should have been and for that, I am happy. I am not discouraged by this book and will be checking out other works by this author, I have heard good things and I am willing to give him another go. I just had some difficulties connecting to this story and the main characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Taste of Love.

01/12/2011
43.0% "Its just a little bit toooo cute!"
01/13/2011
65.0% "Sooooo predictable!"

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Buggy (new)

Buggy Super review D

DarienMoya Buggy wrote: "Super review D"

Thanks Buggy!