Erik's Reviews > A Pale View Of Hills

A Pale View Of Hills by Kazuo Ishiguro

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: has-good-review

Pale View of the Hills is a short, easy read that is spooky in a way that I could never quite put my finger on. Much is suggested, little is told.

It is this trait that is both a positive and a negative for the book. It begins with the suicide of a Japanese woman's eldest daughter, which occured in her current place of residence in England. Much of the novel, however, deals with the woman's recollections of her life in Japan, near Hiroshima Nagasaki, shortly after being devastated by the atomic bomb.

One of my major complaints about this book is that said atomic devastation is really an incidental detail. Honestly, this could have been set anywhere in Japan, and the story could have been nearly identical. It seems, well, it seems like Ishiguro co-opted, or, more harshly, prostituted, such a historic event to create the illusion that his story has a deeper historical significance. Don't be fooled - it doesn't.

As I mentioned, this book is an easy read, which actually irked me. At around the 100 page mark, I began to ask myself/Kazuo, "So what? Why should I care about any of this?" It was terribly domestic, and I began to feel that my domestic energies could be better spent baking some double chocolate chip cookies for my girlfriend. However, I have faith in Kazuo Ishiguro, so I persevered. There are plenty of details that seem important (for example, a young child, clearly afraid, asking the woman, what's that around your foot? What are you dragging?) but whose importance is never clearly revealed. Key word here is clearly. The last ten pages suddenly bring into clarity what the reader suspected all along: this narrator is not to be trusted.

Alas, I cannot explain in full depth what I mean - but I will only say this: if you start this book, then finish it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pale View Of Hills.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vshadow I don't mean to be nit-picky, but the book takes place near Nagasaki, not Hiroshima~ Nagasaki was much more quickly regenerated and had a much stronger foreign presence than the other places mentioned in the novel at that time.

I also have to disagree that the location doesn't add anything to the book, I think the location and the fact that it is one of the places worst hit by the war does add something to the book, but that's just my personal opinion :)

Erik Whoops - thanks for catching that.

Proves my point though. If I can mis-label the name of the city, then it couldn't have been well-used. After all, I know Nagasaki. I know that it was a foreign port and one of the first/only "entries" into the isolated Japan for several centuries. It has a rich history - which was not used, at all, by K.I.