Willow Brook's Reviews > Hidden Away

Hidden Away by Maya Banks

Mar 21, 11

bookshelves: contemporary
Read from March 16 to 20, 2011

Another enjoyable installment in the KGI series about the formidable Kelly brothers, though this one had enough things that bugged me to make it my least favorite book so far. My biggest issue was the heroine, Sarah. From the get-go, when she is described as having acquaintances but no close friends, I was shaking my head. Maybe because I just spent the past month not being able to spend time with my closest friends and it was driving me a little batty. I get that she was a foster child and has issues, but she's a grown woman now and you'd think she would have figured out how to make a friend or two. She was too much the fragile victim for my taste, though obviously it worked well for the hero, Garrett, LOL. I did enjoy him, a grumpy tough guy who is a marshmallow inside when it comes to women, going into instant rescue mode. He was very sweet and considerate with Sarah who had some rough stuff to get over.

The story involves Sarah on the run because she witnesses her brother Marcus, her only family/support person committing a crime and does not want to be used against him. Turns out her bro is one nasty piece of work and she is the only person he has ever truly cared about (must be genetic). Many people want to take out Marcus, including Garrett for very personal reasons. His desire for revenge coincides with a request from the CIA that he keep an eye on Sarah to see if Marcus shows up where she is staying. So he hangs out at the same tropical island where Sarah is hiding and they find themselves drawn to each other. Garrett immediately wants to rescue, care for and protect fragile, haunted Sarah and she likes that just fine. The tricky part is he also wants to kill the one person she is close to and he must lie to her while trying to draw Marcus out and keep her safe from others who want to use and even kill her. So that was certainly a hurdle for our young lovers to overcome on their way to a HEA.

Interspersed through the story are scenes with the large Kelly family and it was nice to see them all again. Despite my carping about Sarah (and I could go on, I'm just short on time ), I enjoyed the story, found Garret very tender and sweet and had fun catching up with the various Kellys. A fun series. I look forward to the next installment, hopefully with a heroine who has a little more backbone and smaller tear ducts.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Away.

message 1: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Nice review Willow Brook! I need to start this series.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Great Review! This is one of my favorite series!

Willow Brook Thanks. It is a fun series even though the first book lives up to its name and had a dark (but rewarding) storyline.