Chelsea's Reviews > Patient Zero

Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry

Dec 27, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: zombies, audio, son-i-am-dissapoint, reviewed, waste-of-money
Read from December 12 to 21, 2011

This is offered up as a zombie book, and while that's accurate to one extent, it's mostly a CIA, terrorism, special ops book. I think if I had fully understood that point, I would have skipped this one. However, even though I don't go for military dramas, a well-written book in that genre would have scored more stars with me. I think my biggest problem with this book is the pacing. The action is almost non-stop, with tons of gunfights, military jargon, Team Leader this and Team Leader that, without a pause to slow down. I realize there is no world-building to be done, so I'm not exactly sure what would have made it a better read for me, but the fights went on for so long that my ears literally got tired of this book.

Joe Ledger is the main character of this, and honestly, I wasn't wild about him. It's pretty obvious he has Baggage, and this Baggage makes his life hard sometimes. He's pretty much a meathead who's good at everything he does. There is no failure. There are some attempts at humor, which save him from being completely flat though.

Maberry introduces a bunch of other characters who are in his squad. Even though they get assigned cute nicknames (do men do this in real life?), I couldn't much differentiate them from each other, save the red-headed guy (view spoiler).

The more interesting plotline lies with Sebastian Gault, his androgynous assistant and The Sexy Scientist Lady Who's Name I Don't Remember. I thought this bit of the book was pretty well executed, compared with the rest. However, the author doesn't write women very well at all. That's not normally a huge deal, but I thought there could have been something more intriguing going on than (view spoiler)

I will not be continuing this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patient Zero.

12/12/2011 page 20
show 10 hidden updates…

seak Speaking of your last spoiler, I meant to mention in my review that it didn't work too well for me either. If someone's that religious, I really don't think they'd be so quick to let someone get into their pants, even for this cause. Commit suicide for their cause, yes, sex, no way.

Chelsea I agree with you, but my main problem with it wasn't her orthodoxy or fundamentalism, it was the fact that pussy was the best thing this woman (who is supposedly brilliant) could think of.

seak Chelsea wrote: "I agree with you, but my main problem with it wasn't her orthodoxy or fundamentalism, it was the fact that pussy was the best thing this woman (who is supposedly brilliant) could think of."

Very good point. Almost like why did he even make her a scientist.