Elaine's Reviews > The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

Jul 09, 11

bookshelves: 2011, kindle, nonfiction-and-memoirs
Read from June 24 to July 08, 2011

This was such a disappointment, especially after reading Gladwell's "Outliers." In "The Tipping Point," Gladwell's thesis was all over the place, his writing was sloppy, and his research, though thorough, left more questions unanswered than resolved. Some things he discussed were just ridiculous and complete pseudo-science or utter babbling: for instance, the phone book "experiment," the difference between Sesame Street and Blues Clues (I found that part of the book fascinating and informational, but I don't think it had much to do with the overall thesis of the book), stereotypes about smokers, why the hell Hushpuppies took off (which he never actually discussed after pages and pages of foreplay)... etc. There were several interesting ideas, but they were either not completely fleshed out or completely parenthetical to the main points (which at times were difficult to decipher). The writing also did not hold my interest, which is why it took me so long to get through.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tipping Point.