Ronyell's Reviews > Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor by Lisa Kleypas

Dec 27, 2010

bookshelves: lisa-kleypas, contemporary-romance, adult-book, my-blog-reviews, sexy-bad-boy-hero, sexy-good-girl-heroine, strong-hero, strong-heroine
Read from December 27, 2010 to January 08, 2011

Whenever I was reading some of Lisa Kleypas’ works, I was always reading her historical romance novels. Well, I just stumbled upon not only her most recent novel to date, but the first contemporary romance novel I have read from her and it is called “Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor.” Be prepared to see Lisa Kleypas’ romantic world contemporary style!

One night, a six year old girl named Holly lost her mother, Victoria, in a car accident and ever since the accident, Holly has never spoken a word to anyone. Because Victoria is not around to take care of Holly anymore, Holly is sent to live with her handsome yet shy Uncle Mark Nolan, who has no idea how to take care of Holly. However, Mark soon starts to bond with Holly and tries his best to take good care of Holly. Later on however, Mark meets a beautiful and optimistic woman named Maggie Conroy, who had recently lost her husband to cancer a year ago and she and Holly seem to take a liking to each other. Is this the beginning of a new friendship between Mark and Maggie or will this relationship sprout into love?

This book was more like those cute little Christmas specials you see on television than an actual romance story since it is more focused on the characters’ background stories about their past lives rather than the romantic aspect of the story, which makes this one unique contemporary romance novel. This is not your typical romance novel as it focuses more on the trials of having an adopted family and trying to feel loved again, which I thought that Lisa Kleypas had pulled it off extremely well. What I really loved about Lisa Kleypas’ writing was that she was able to show the audience Holly’s reaction to her mother’s death as she did not speak to anyone and that part of the story was extremely powerful and moving to me since I cannot imagine what the death of a parent can do to a child. I found myself growing attach to Holly as a character since she is such a sweet little girl who went through so much after her mother died and I always sympathized with her situation since I would have felt the same way that Holly did when her mother died, but every time I see Holly’s happiness towards the middle of the book, my heart just melts for her! Now let us move onto the hot couple of the story! Oh my goodness, the best part of this story was Mark Nolan himself as not only does he have one muscular and hot body (which I love) but he has a very sweet and passionate personality that makes him one awesome character. Even though Mark had no experience with taking care of children, he truly cares for Holly and would do anything for her. Another character I really loved was Maggie as she was just as sweet as Mark is and because she also lost someone dear to her which was her husband, her loving relationship with Holly was heartwarming and believable that I just loved every minute that Maggie spent with Holly. From the beginning of the book, Mark and Maggie were meant to be together and what I really loved about their relationship was the fact that they just casually told each other their problems in their lives without feeling uncomfortable near each other.

The reason why I gave this book a four star rating instead of a five star rating is because while Mark and Maggie have great chemistry together, I wanted to see more intimate moments between those two so that this book would be more interesting in the romantic aspect of the story.

All in all, “Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor” is like a romance fan’s dream come true whenever they want to read romance novels during the holidays and I am definitely looking forward to reading Sam and Alex’s side of the story in the next books of the Friday Harbor series! Anyone looking for a good contemporary romance novel check this book out!

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor.

01/02/2011 page 20
9.0% "Awww...poor Holly..."
01/05/2011 page 50
24.0% "One of the most heartwarming quotes ever! : "Uncle Mark." "Just a minute, Holls,I'm -" Mark borke off and went very still. He did a near-comical double take, his stunned gaze falling to the child beside him. "Holly?" He sounded breathless. The girl smiled up at him uncertainly. Standing on her toes, she reached over the counter to give the shell to Maggie." 2 comments
01/07/2011 page 110
52.0% "Things are sizzling up between Maggie and Mark!"
01/08/2011 page 211
100.0% "Finished!!! Review soon to come!"
show 1 hidden update…

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I know you are only 9% through it, but, what do you think so far? : )

Ronyell I think the book is starting out really great! Mark seems like a really nice character and I felt sorry about what happened to Holly's mother.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) That sounds good, I will definiately have to get to that this month : )

Nicole This was such a good read!! I love Lisa Kleypas books!!

Ronyell @Nicole,

Me too!!! She really knows how to write romance novels!!!

message 6: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Jan 10, 2011 01:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Ronyell! I agree about wanting more romance between Mark and Maggie. I loved all the characters in this story and look forward to more of them in the upcoming Friday Harbor books. And being full-length novels, we'll get the opportunity for more of the romantic, passionate and intimate moments, that Lisa Kleypas is so great at writing, than we did in this holiday novella.

Ronyell Thanks Jayne!! I'm glad to hear that the next set of novels in this series is going to be full length novels. So we'll get a chance to hear more about the Nolan brothers! I'm so excited!!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Yes, LK has 3 full-length novels planned in the Friday Harbor series. Though they won't be out til 2012. So we can expect books for Sam and Alex but not sure who the third book will be about. And, of course, we'll get to see more of Mark, Maggie and Holly! ^_^

Ronyell That's great to hear!!! But 2012 is so far away, especially since it just turned 2011!!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I know. LK isn't publishing anything this year. :-( She's taking a bit of a break...which everyone deserves! ^_^

You still have many of her books to read though, right, Ronyell? Her contemporary Travis series is great:
1. Sugar Daddy - Though I don't really consider it a Contemporary Romance;
2. Blue-Eyed Devil; and
3. Smooth Talking Stranger

Shawna Great review, Ronyell! I loved it, too! I'm really looking forward to the next book in the Friday Harbor series.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm glad you enjoyed this, too!!

Ronyell @Jayne,

Thanks for the list Jayne! I'll have to check out these series!!

Ronyell Thanks Danielle and UM!! I'm glad you enjoyed the book too Shawna! I really love this series!!

message 16: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn I've been to Friday Harbor so I'm curious about this book. Thanks for the great review!

Ronyell You're welcome Kathryn!! I always wanted to go to Friday Harbor and this book helped me see what it is like!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Great review, Ronyell! I loved this book!

Ronyell Thanks Annie!! I've enjoyed this book too!!

MelissaB Nice review Ronyell! I like her Travis series better than this one

Ronyell MelissaB wrote: "Nice review Ronyell! I like her Travis series better than this one"

Thanks Melissa! I also loved her Travis series better also! I especially loved Blue-Eyed Devil the best!