P.'s Reviews > Remainder

Remainder by Tom McCarthy

Dec 30, 2010

bookshelves: fictive, speculative
Read from December 27 to 29, 2010

I was expecting this to be a slow read. Not dreading it, just expecting it, because when the plot is described it sounds a little dry. But I found that the story was fluid and engrossing. The narrator is so self-assured and deliberate that I was taken right up with him, until things start to get really elaborate (probably almost 2/3 of the way through the book) and you see signs of his babyness cracking through. I like that I didn't have to like the narrator to like the book. And it's humorous in a detached way. I never laughed outright but there were a lot of quietly funny moments.

I think it would be a great book club selection because people would like it and people would hate it, but there would still be stuff to discuss.

Another fun thing was that I had to look up 2 words in the dictionary so I feel even more enriched by my reading experience.

1. dehisce (v.)
2. pobble (v.)

Actually the 2nd word is not a word. That was one of the funny parts for me. Funny like, this guy is so crazy that he thinks pobble is a verb.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Remainder.

message 1: by Roberta (new) - added it

Roberta I'm intrigued by your review. Now I have to add this to my list.

message 2: by P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

P. I'll be interested to hear what you think about it!