Kate's Reviews > By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead

By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters

Feb 25, 11

bookshelves: death, junior-high, middle-school, senior-high, suicide
Read on December 27, 2010, read count: 2

Daelyn has been bullied her whole life. She has been told she is worthless, she is fat, and that she might as well kill herself. She takes these comments seriously and tries to kill herself, twice. Her second attempt leaves her unable to speak and she is determined to succeed the third time. She begins to plan her suicide when she finds a website called Through-the-Light that prepares users for ending their lives with places to share their stories, and information about ways to "complete."
As her completion day grows closer Daelyn begins to detach herself from those around her. All except Santana, a new guy who has taken an interest in her. She can't seem to make Santana leave her alone, and perhaps his interest will be enough to convince her to stay.
I meant to read this for a long time, after I finished 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I couldn't believe how amazing this book was. My heart broke a little more with each turn of the page, knowing that it would get better for Daelyn but being unable to communicate that to her. I think this book is a great read and a great way to get the conversation started about bullying and suicide.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emmi Your review is very helpful. And I really want to read this book now! I read 13 Reasons Why, too. It was a great book. ^^